Chapter thirty-five: Torture

"The bed's getting cold and you're not here
The future that we hold is so unclear
But I'm not alive until you call
And I'll bet the odds against it all
Save your advice 'cause I won't hear
You might be right, but I don't care
There's a million reasons why I should give you up"

"But the heart wants what it wants"

-The Heart wants what it wants, Selena Gomez

***

Riddle slung an arm around her waist, pulling her closer to his body as they walked. His blue eyes scanned the crowd before them, and they met with several angry women, seemingly jealous of what his girlfriend had in her possession. He didn't mind though, he much preferred her presence along his side than her being involved with her other friends.

Valencia on the other hand, felt oddly out of place next to the Slytherin prefect. She felt the piercing glares of girls in their year or even below in her skull as she walked. Tom's fingers dug into her side as he turned them toward the table, where he pulled her down next to him, keeping his arm in the same place.

"Tom I don't think this is such a good idea," she whispered in his ear, he turned to face her, his jawline sharp as his lips grazed the side of her cheek. His eyebrows furrowed as he took in her expression, it made him feel conflicted to see her look so desperate to leave him. She looked as if being next to him was the last place she wanted to be in the moment.

"What's wrong?" he asked softly laying his hand on her thigh, his thumb caressed the skin there. He gazed into her eyes, searching for some sort of answer, but all he saw was hesitation. He felt his heart ache from the look on her face and he frowned deeply, wondering what could've caused her so much discomfort.

"There's just.. everyone is staring at us," she replied leaning back and away from him a bit, but not so far that she couldn't smell his strong cologne. Which she never really figured out if he wore any, it could've just been the residue from the countless hours spent in front of the fireplace doing homework for his classes.

Tom fought the urge to laugh at her, did she not realize that everyone had already been looking at her these past few months? The only new thing about this attention was that it was for a different reason, the fact that he was publicly claiming her apparently struck everyone's interest. Which he in no way understood, it was only fit- the two perfect people in the school, together at last.

"So what?" he questioned quietly, his curls falling over her forehead as he leaned down. He couldn't understand why she was becoming so nervous all of the sudden? He knew she knew that she was beautiful, so why did she not notice all of the people watching her before? It wasn't like this was new information, the girls in their school had always been jealous of her.

Valencia sighed shaking her head, she peaked up from her eyelashes and saw the boy she had been avoiding for weeks now- Abraxas Malfoy was staring at the two of them with an unknown emotion behind those aquatic landscapes. His lips were pulled down and he looked paler than normal, she began to feel sick to her stomach, like she might just throw up at the sight.

"Do you not want people to know that we're together?" he asked a bit aggravated that she was looking in another's direction. He told himself on repeat that it wasn't anything personal, but she had said it her self, that Malfoy would always be an important person in her life. Perhaps not as much as Tom, but he was still there. Which for that reason, made him feel constantly paranoid.