Chapter thirty-two: Ruined

"Wait if I'm on fire
How am I so deep in love?
When I dream of dying
I never feel so loved"
- Trampoline, SHAED

***

Tom stared at the diadem in his hold, his eyes focusing on the large gems, the blue evidently swirling around. The piece of jewelry was beautiful of course, but he didn't have any use on using it as a crown. He had way bigger uses for it, it was an important part in his plan to overtake the wizardry world.

He traced a finger on the top of it, feeling the harshness of the edges of the Raven on top of it. His eyes narrowed on the bird, it's existence reminding him of what happened in the forest just a couple weeks prior to where he was then. He remembered how captivated she looked while admiring the animals, he didn't understand her infatuation. However, it did seem that he didn't understand many things she found interesting.

With a soft sigh, he laid the diadem in the drawer of his desk, silently placing a numerous amount of locked charms on it. Nobody he didn't allow in there willingly, would never be capable of unraveling them all. He was sure of it. Even though he was typically confident in his abilities to manipulate and lie his way through things, and in his magic in general, but given the current situation- he had more to lose than he ever had before.

Of course, things in the end would be the same as he imagined, countless warriors devoted him and him only. They would kneel before him, showing him just how much they pledged to his purpose. They would be chanting his name through the manor in which he possessed. He had no doubt in his mind that he would succeed.

He looked at the sleeping girl on his right, her blonde hair sprawled out across the white pillow she laid on. Her lips were slightly parted releasing barely noticeable breaths, if he didn't notice the rising and falling of the sheets he would've thought of her to be deceased. She barely passed as living.

His eyebrows furrowed and he looked at the drawer that held his future horcrux. He had thought for days at a time now about when he was supposed to go through with it. He told himself countless times that he was just postponing it because of the excruciating pain it would entitle. A small price for the concept of living forever.

He could achieve many things wizards in generations of their future and history of their past had never even considered. He was a creative soul, and even if his body was being pained from the process of tearing apart his emotions, he didn't really care. He only wished to be the greatest he could be, and he was doing just that.

At least that's what he was telling himself.

About a week ago, through proper persuasion and a bit of money supplied by his acolytes, Tom Riddle had yet again weaseled his way to get what he desired. Perhaps he was foolish to believe that sharing a room with the only person he had grown to care for would be a good idea. It didn't cross his mind how much harder it would be to get away with his plans with her around.

He barely had the time to figure out what to do about the diadem, having someone that was constantly speaking to him, occupying his mind, it was exhausting and difficult as well as relieving and calming. He didn't mind her presence, he really didn't, he much preferred when her body was next to his in bed.

It was just much harder to do things behind her back, he in no way had any intention on telling her the truth any time soon. He would do it in the future, and she would understand, if she really cared for him she would understand. That's what was replaying in his mind every time he thought about how to bring it up in conversation.