Chapter five: Dagger to the heart

"We are all dust passing through the air, the difference is, some are flying high in the sky, while others are flying low. But eventually, we all settle on the same ground."
-Anthony Liccione

•Warning, this chapter contains blood and gore, if you are uncomfortable with these subjects, please skip this chapter or proceed with caution•
- Thank you darlings.

***

When Gavin Ollivander turned thirteen years old, he gained the courage to speak with his family about allowing Valencia to stay with them in their mansion.

"No son, how many times must I tell you so?" his mother replied swiftly, she was grabbing her trench coat off the side table and wrapping it around her medium sized figure.

"Until you say yes" he answered without hesitation, the young boy's anger was growing with his family every time they refused his request. He wanted his best friend to spend the summer with him, away from her mother, away from her strict housing rules.

His mother sighed and looked down at him, bending down to meet his height, "I love you, you are compassionate and sweet Gavin, don't let anyone ever steer you away from such characteristics." Her hand smoothed out his ginger locks and they laid flatly upon his head.

"Do not try to make this conversation go away by giving me compliments mum, I want her to come stay with us, you don't know how it is for her back home!" he shouted it at the top of his lungs and moved away from her touch as it seemed to burn at the contact.

"Do not raise your voice with me! Your father cannot simply let a witch stay here because of her living situation back at home. I feel badly for your friend, but we cannot help her, it would be bad for our family name, and worse for your father at the ministry." She tried to sound genuine but her voice was laced with irritation, and she was becoming impatient with his behavior.

"She is not just a witch mother! You don't understand how it is, I love Valencia! She is my best friend in the world, and bad things happen to her back at home, horrible inhumane acts, I won't stand for it!" he was finally speaking against his parents, after years of being stuck up and an obedient son, he was sick of it. He wanted her out of her home and he'd do whatever he could to make sure it happened.

She stared blankly at him, watching the anger he was feeling rise to his cheeks like a blush, but this was no blush, he was furious beyond comprehension. "I'm sure Valencia would appreciate your kindness, but my answer remains the same, she is welcome to stay a week at maximum, but no more."

And he tried again when he turned fifteen

"Father" he greeted lowly, his ginger hair fell quite a bit farther down his face and he took a large inhale before sliding his father's coat off easily and laying it gently across the coat rack located beside the main entrance.

"Hello, where is your mother?" he questioned walking past him and toward the main dining hall.

"Mum left for an evening dinner with the Malfoys and told me to tell you she'd be home around midnight" he answered almost automatically, his tone was so polite, he would get his fathers permission to allow her to stay, no matter how long it took.