Chapter twelve: Sudden Friends

"I'm not in search of sanctity, sacredness, purity; these things are found after this life, not in this life; but in this life I search to be completely human: to feel, to give, to take, to laugh, to get lost, to be found, to dance, to love and to lust, to be so human."
-C. Joybell C.

***

December was the coldest month of the year for Hogwarts, and as the weeks passed since Halloween, the cold really started to set, and soon not too long after the beginning- snow began to fall gracefully to the ground. Sidewalks were consumed with the white wonderland, and students were swarming the outsides of the castle searching for mounds to hide behind for snowball fights.

Christmas was also the biggest, most celebrated holiday of the year for Hogwarts. Decorations upon decorations were set up by the prefects and head boy and girl, so students could walk down corridors and admire the professional replicating jobs. This was also when smiles actually became genuine, and compliments were made. This month was the most cheerful month of them all.

"So are you having break at your mother's this year, Valencia?" Gavin asked patiently sliding an arm behind her and around her neck, snuggling her closer to his body for some more warmth. Of course, this was something he'd do despite the cold weather, but it was just a benefit.

"Most likely" she replied sighing heavily after she did so, she knew no one wanted her to return home, but unfortunately her mother would never allow her to visit someone else's home. "I know you don't like it when I do, but she still is my mother Gavin, and whether we like it or not, she controls what I can and cannot do."

Cassandra flipped through a book she had been reading, and glanced up at the two of them, wondering what on Earth they could possibly be talking about. She noticed the boy's unimpressed facial expression and decided to actually start paying attention as something had seemed to be upsetting him.

"You shouldn't go home, if you would like I can get my father to owl your mum and request your presence for break" he suggested, watching her face twist with the slightest bit of excitement at his offer. Yet, he knew in the end she'd end up denying it because of her own safety.

"I agree with Ollivander, as much as I've heard about your mum, she sounds like a nightmare, perhaps you should seriously consider spending holiday break over with him and his family" Severus chimed in from her side, and suddenly all eyes flashed to him as his eye sight was solely placed on Valencia.

"I would love to, you all know I would I just... I can't leave her alone, she is always drunk or high and I seriously can't afford to lose my last parent" she murmured, she was extremely ashamed by her situation at home, and though she would never admit it out loud, there were multiple other reasons for her to stay home.

"She isn't much of a parent to begin with Valencia, my father would be proud to have a Young woman in his house, your family has high respect around the wizardry world. He actually asked of me to offer you a couple week stay at our home to finally meet you" Gavin explained quickly, his mouth was moving quickly and she could barely understand the jumbled up sentences leaving it.

"Wait- your dad asked to meet me? Have you been talking to him about me or something?" she asked him, become weary of the situation all together. She'd hoped it was all good things his father would hear, but then again her mother wasn't the most.. exquisite lady to meet, and that would strongly reflect on her.