Chapter twenty-six: if not her, then it is no one

"There was a time when I was alone
No where to go and no place to call home
My only friend was the man in the moon
And even sometimes he would go away too"
-Ruth B, Lost Boy

***

Tom's arms felt warm, despite him being the coldest person alive- Valencia felt safe and warm in his grasp. It was cold and she was desperate to scrub off the touch of that man, but for the time being, as he carried her back to the hotel room, she was alright. She felt alright, because for once he wasn't threatening her with loud words of violence and promise.

His hand stroked the back of her head as she laid against his chest, his eyes scanning the people around them as they walked. He was being extremely paranoid that someone would see them, someone would see her bruised and touched, and say something they'd regret.

He opened the hotel door and immediately took her to the bathroom, his hands not leaving her skin for any moment. He gently laid her down on the side of the bathtub, and although she could stay up herself, Tom kept his hands on the side of his face, swiping his thumb across her cheek.

"Are you okay?" he asked moving to sit in front of her, he kneeled on his the floor before the witch and gazed up with unsettlement. His eyes scanned across her chest, claw marks, bruises, wounds, hickeys. Then he studied her arms and her neck, the same things tainting her skin everywhere.

Valencia didn't answer him, she watched him stare at her trying to unravel what had happened. She wanted to open up and tell him what had happened, she really did, but she couldn't form the words. She didn't want him to think of her differently, she didn't want him to think she was weak.

"Valencia, I want to make it better, but you have to tell me what happened," he placed his hand carefully on her knee, in which she flinched backing, squeezing her eyes shut and immediately closing her legs as tight as they would go.

She didn't mean to sound rude, she knew he was trying to help her, but it didn't make sense. Her head was spinning from her intoxication and she was so tired, she was exhausted from being constantly hurt, being constantly touched. She didn't want his fake concern, she wanted to be held by someone who actually cared for her. Tom didn't care.

"Don't touch me," she demanded pushing his hand off her knee, he looked surprised for a split second, but no anger was evident on his face. He held his hands firmly on the ground, his jaw was set and his stare was soft upon her. She tried so desperately to put her rage out on him, but he wasn't making it easy.

"I don't want to hurt you," he assured moving forward, he stood up and slowly moved behind her so he could start the bath. Tom meant it, he didn't have any desire to harm the girl, especially now. He wished he hadn't been so harsh with her, maybe then she'd come to him willingly.

"You seem to always hurt me," Valencia scoffed, she wanted to look tough but her eyes betrayed her and tears began to fall again. Her voice was dark against the air and it didn't take long before a nimble thumb wiped away her tears.

"I do not mean to," he said softly, he was acting so out of character it not only started Valencia but also himself. He didn't know why he was acting the way he was, he didn't care for other people. He convinced himself that he was doing this out of a manipulative plan to make her drawn to his cause. "I was born this way, I do not want to hurt you, it comes natural."