Chapter twenty-one: home

"Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime."
-Laura Ingalls Wilder

***

Valencia smiled to herself as Abraxas took himself and sat down next to her in the compartment, he hadn't liked the idea of them sitting together in the Slytherin selection of the bus, but she was persistent enough to crack him. He seemed a bit distracted by something else entirely, but she decided she had already tried him enough that day.

"What's on your mind?" she asked taking her delicate index finger and pushing some rogue hair back from his forehead. He flinched back from her touch but he leaned back in when he realized it was her and not anyone else.

His eyes wandered across the compartment and he saw his companions staring at the two of them with intrigue. His eyes closed for a moment of awareness before he sighed and decided against his pride, wishing she would just leave it alone. He was stressed for multiple reasons, but the most evident one was his obvious worry of her being with Riddle all holiday.

"It's nothing Val, leave it alone" he said gently taking her hand away from his head and putting it in her own lap. He saw the flicker of annoyance across her graceful features before she scowled at his secretive behavior. One thing the witch did not tolerate was secrets and lies, a web spun of unfaithfulness is nothing but worn attire.

"Come on, tell me, you know you can tell me anything" she tried to be a least a bit more composed than what she actually was, but her lips were pulled into a potent frown that hid her other expressions. Her hand went on his knee and he glanced down at it, wondering why she was prying when she knows she shouldn't be.

"I know I can," he mumbled looking around the room, he didn't like when she would touch him so tenderly in front of the other knights. He looked weak compared to their strong outsides, and he wasn't about to let a girl ruin his perfect reputation. "However, I said leave it alone."

Valencia opened her mouth, staring at him with such vexation it made his insides twist. He knew he was walking upon thin ice, but he felt as if she should respect his wishes and leave it alone when told to. Although, by her past actions she didn't take well to being told what to do. In fact, she did the exact opposite almost every time, so truly perhaps it was his mistake.

"Sorry your majesty, I forgot you didn't like when I touched you in front of your friends" she huffed and stood up from her spot, gathering her robes behind her and gently taking them off. She felt the boy's eyes on her as she reached for the door knob, and in a moment of panic Abraxas reached out and grabbed her wrist lightly in his hold.

"Do not leave, where are you going?" he asked tugging gently on the skin he held, he began to rethink the way he handled it, and realized maybe he shouldn't have come off so harshly. She was an emotional woman, and he had hurt her feelings.

"I'm going to go and watch the train tracks, if you don't not mind," she pulled her arm away in a swift move and his eyes narrowed to slits as she stepped out of the compartment and slammed the door behind her. Sometimes, she only wished he would understand what it was like for her, an outsider, she wanted their relationship to work, but how could it when he felt so ashamed of her presence?