Chapter thirty-eight: Unleash Satan

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up."
-Neil Gaiman

WARNING:
Mature scenes

***

His hands dragged down the side of her torso, his head nuzzled into the crook of her neck, inhaling her perfume that he had grown to adore. He adored everything about her, and the way she was treating him at the moment was driving him mad. She always drove him mad, but ever since last week when he had confessed that he could not ever love her, she had been acting differently.

She hadn't kissed him in days, usually using the excuse that she hadn't had time to brush her teeth that morning or that the punishment restricted it. She would sleep with him in bed, but when he tried to grab her waist and pull her against him, she'd move away saying the same thing over and over again.

"I told you no touching for a month"

"I'm actually kind of hot right now, maybe tomorrow night."

It was making him feel as if he had said something wrong, but he did not understand how. He had told her the truth, and yes he wished he could love her like she did him, but he could not force that type of emotion on himself. He felt enough guilt over the matter as it was, but now that she was acting this way he felt much worse.

"Mmm, you look so beautiful," he whispered, attempting to make something sweet out of the bitter tension between the two of them. He trailed crimson lips across her nape, feeling the need to make all her worries go away. He couldn't love her, but that didn't mean he couldn't care for her more than anything else in that damned world.

"Tom we have to go, we're going to be late," she responded dryly, taking his arms off her waist and turning the opposite direction of him to the door. Her blonde hair was parted in the middle and separated over her shoulders, and he loved it like that. He loved when she dressed the most like herself.

"Can't I hold you a bit longer?" he asked almost irritably, he was growing impatient with the unfairness she was presenting. He found it absurd that she would be upset over something he could not control. He understood why it would hurt, he did, but that didn't mean that she had the right to treat him this way because of it.

Valencia noticed him going in to grab her again, so she shifted awkwardly until her hand grabbed his coat, shoving it harshly against his chest when he did finally reach her, making him grunt from the impact. She saw the flicker of frustration cross his features, the way his eyebrows knotted and his lips tugged roughly down.

Riddle went to say something, but she had already turned and made for the door. Her hand on the handle until she had made it out the threshold, his stare following intensely behind. He couldn't believe she had the audacity to do such a thing, all he has been doing is attempting to clear the air.

Saturday of last week, he had made the bold move to meet her after potions, and he had initially meant to charm her into coming back to the dormitory and reading with him. However, she had other ideas, stating that she had to go visit her friends since they had already asked her to study with them.