Tʜᴇ Nɪɢʜᴛᴍᴀʀᴇ Bᴇɢɪɴs

It was evening when the witch nervously stood in front of the King's chambers after he requested her presence

It was evening when the witch nervously stood in front of the King's chambers after he requested her presence. A guard that escorted her exited the chambers and turned his gaze towards her.

"The King is awaiting you," he stated, opening the door for her as she slowly entered.

Uther's gaze fell upon her the moment she entered, and the girl quickly curtsied.

"Your Majesty," she mumbled, and he nodded in acknowledgement while she straightened up.

"I assume you don't know why I sent for you?" She slowly shook her head, and he sat down on a chair behind a desk.

"I've noticed your proximity to the Prince. Arthur seems very fond of you, almost too fond." Her gaze flickered towards the floor as she nervously rubbed her hands on the skirt of her dress.

"Sire, I can assure you that the Prince sees and treats me like any other servant," she responded, her gaze meeting Uther's.

He chuckled dryly, taking a sip of wine from his goblet. "Do you take me for a fool, girl?" He questioned her, and Elle held in the urge to say yes.

"No. Of course not," she answered, and he hummed, eyeing her.

"Then you surely know that I cannot allow it to continue," he told her, and she clenched her jaw but nodded.

The guard from earlier came in and went to the King, telling him something. The witch couldn't deduce what it was and certainly didn't care.

"You're dismissed." He waved his hand towards her, and with a small curtsy, the witch quickly hurried out of the room.

꧙꧙꧙꧙꧙꧙

When she arrived at the Prince's chambers, she found him sitting on his chair with her brother beside him. Arthur glanced up at hearing the door open with a smile, but it turned into a frown as soon as he noticed her expression.

"What's wrong?" Merlin was the first one to break the silence, and the girl lifted her gaze to them.

"Merlin, could you leave us for a moment?" She spoke up after a moment, and her brother hesitantly nodded in understatement, exiting the room.

Arthur stood up and went over to her, but the sorceress held her hand in front of her, gesturing for him to stop. "Don't," she muttered as he attempted to grab her hand.

He slowly pulled his hand away, watching her with a puzzled look. "What happened?"

She swallowed nervously and looked anywhere but at him, running a hand through her hair. "Your father, he suspects something is going on between us," she spoke softly and bit her lip.