Tʜᴇ Wɪᴛᴄʜғɪɴᴅᴇʀ

Estelle, along with her brother and other servants, was collecting wood in the forest near the city

Estelle, along with her brother and other servants, was collecting wood in the forest near the city. However, her smile dropped when she noticed her brother's gloomy expression. She approached him just as a few logs fell from his arms.

Merlin didn't even bother to pick them up and went up the hill to sit on a fallen tree trunk. His sister followed closely behind him and sat down beside him, leaning her head on his shoulder as he looked around, his gaze landing on a cloud of smoke coming from the trees in front of them. He held out his hand in the direction, wanting to distract himself for a moment.

"Hors, beride þá heofonum."

His eyes glowed, and a horse formed itself from the smoke. The witch smiled at her brother's joyous expression, but his smile soon faltered. It was getting harder for both of them. They barely used their abilities since those past weeks were rather peaceful. She squeezed his hand and stood up just as a woman emerged from behind them and grabbed her shoulder. 

"Did you see it?" Elle gave her a confused look as she motioned towards the smoke. "The smoke. Did you see it?" The siblings exchanged an alarmed look.

"We saw nothing," Merlin got out. "Are you blind? You were right here!" The woman exclaimed, and the witch swallowed. "It was magic, I tell you! There's sorcery here. We must tell the King!" The woman stuttered out and hurried towards the castle.

"No, wait!" The raven-haired girl shouted after her, but she ignored it. 

The warlock looked at his sister in panic before they went after the woman. Unfortunately for them, she was already long gone. 

꧙꧙꧙꧙꧙꧙

"It was sorcery you saw, you certain of it?" The King of Camelot questioned the woman standing in front of him. He was seated in his throne above all as he addressed her.

"Yes, sire," she answered with a shaky voice. "And you swear this before your King?" Gaius glanced at the siblings, and Merlin gave him a nervous look. "I swear it," the woman stated. She was nervous, to say the least.

"Perhaps your eyes deceived you," the Prince, who kept staring at his maidservant, joined in. Now more than ever, he wanted to rush down those stairs and shake some sense into her. She kept her gaze on the ground, knowing that he thought she's the one responsible for it. "A trick of the light," he added, earning a side glance from his father. This gesture made him look away from his maidservant as he glanced briefly to the King. 

"The smoke was alive, I tell you. I feared for my life."

The witch held in the urge to roll her eyes and clenched her jaw, exchanging a look with her brother.