Chapter 24: Sophie POV

A/N Hi! SiSiLoves2read here! This is a really sad chapter, so be prepared. I love this song and hope you like it too!

 SiSi out.

"What?" I questioned. 

"His registry pendent was tracked to the forbidden cities," Della answered. "It was lying on the ocean floor."

I swallowed. "Did you find...his body?" I asked hesitantly.

"Not yet," Della replied. 

"So he's probably still alive," I began.

Della shook her head. "I'm so sorry, Sophie. But we can't be certain."

A few tears leaked down my cheek. "So it's possible that he ran away, or...got kidnapped. Just like--you know..."

"There is a small chance, yes," Della replied. 

"Why would he run off like that?" Fitz asked. 

I saw everyone narrow their eyes at him through the phone.  

"Why are you guys looking like that?" I questioned. 

Tam shook his head, and Biana put her hand on her forehead. 

Linh put a hand on my shoulder. "We can't worry about that now. What are we going to do about Keefe?"

"We have to look for him," I replied. "Wait, how did Keefe even get to the forbidden cities?"

"We found a blue leaping crystal on the beach near where we found the registry pendent. We're not sure how he got it."

"Let me try transmitting to him," I suggested.  I handed my phone to Linh and closed my eyes.

Keefe! I transmitted.

Please! Tell me if you can hear me!

Keefe!

KEEFE!

My head began to pound.  I put the pain aside and continued to transmit.

KEEFE!

KEEFE!

It was louder than I had ever transmitted before.  I grabbed my frustration and fear and threw it into my transmission.  I wanted to make him understand my worry.

KEEFE!

I gathered my feelings together like I did before I inflicted and launched it into the air--as far as it would go.

My head pounded harder, and the pain became nearly unbearable.

Still, I refused to give up.

KEEFE!

I felt the desperation of the transmission.  

KEEFE!

Keefe, where are you?

Linh POV

I couldn't watch Sophie's desperate attempt to reach Keefe.  She had her eyes closed for what seemed like forever.  Her face was pale and sweaty.  

I finally shook her and forced her to stop.

She crumpled to the floor, breathing heavily.  She looked too tired to speak, but she gave a small shake of her head.

And with that small movement, all our hope flew away.

But it couldn't be.

Could Keefe really be dead?

No.

No.

No.

I sat down beside Sophie and pulled her into a tight embrace.  She sobbed into my shoulder, and I let a few tears fall.

"It's going to be okay, Sophie," I whispered.

But it wasn't.

Because Keefe was gone.