Chapter 76: Sophie POV

A/N SiSi here again! XD

"What was that?" I whispered into the unsettling silence. 

It was a rhetorical question. 

Not meant to be answered.

I wasn't sure I wanted the answer.

I was met with a silence I wasn't sure I wanted to be filled.  I slowly rose to shaky feet and grabbed a baseball bat from a bucket near the door.

You can never be too careful. 

I heard hesitant footsteps following behind me.  

There were no windows or peep holes that connected to the outside world.  The only way to answer my rhetorical question was to open the wood door in front of me.  My hand shook near the handle, and I prayed it wasn't a member of the Remember Refugees.  

We were in no shape to fight.  

But before I could twist the knob, the door flew open, throwing me back onto my back and knocking the baseball bat out of my hand.  

I prepared for a large fight to break out in the middle of the apartment, but no sound of resistance came.

I looked up and saw a young woman squeezing Bridget tightly.

What kind of method was this?

A knew sort of strangle?

Turning something so innocent and sweet into--

My thoughts were interrupted when the woman holding onto Bridget released her and smiled warmly.  I just looked up at the two in confusion.

"Zuri!" Bridget exclaimed. "What has happened? Why do you look like you are running for your life?"

"More are coming," the woman replied rushingly. "We had to evacuate quickly!"

"What are you talking about?" Bridget questioned.

"Our location has been breached!" Zuri cried in response.  The woman's eyes were glazed over as tears threatened to spill over.

"What?" Bridget breathed. "It's not possible! We have been so careful!"

Zuri's breathing was heavy as she tried to keep the tears from falling.  All her effort was in vain when the tears started streaming down her face.

Bridget quickly pulled her back into a hug and rubbed her back soothingly. 

"We destroyed as much as we could--but all of our work..." Zuri's voice faded as she was overcome by a fit of uncontrollable sobs.  

Bright lights started filling the dark hallway as more elves appeared outside the twin's apartment.  

I stared in shock as they started streaming into the small living room.

There was no way they would all fit.

I quickly found a spot on the couch before it could be filled.

"What happened?" a familiar voice questioned.  Audrey's face appeared in the sea of people. "Why are there so many elves here?" she asked.  Ruy stood on her left carrying Keefe, and Sandor, Ro, and Olivia stood on her right.

Emma and Sienna rushed forward and surrounded Olivia in a big hug.  I went over to Keefe to make sure he was alright.

"What happened to him?" I asked Ruy.

"I suppose he is just in shock," he replied.  

I noticed Audrey's slightly flushed face but didn't say anything about it.  She spoke a few minutes later. "Why are so many people here?" she asked.

"They're from the Order of the Guardians. I think their hideout was breached," I replied.

"Oh, no," Audrey breathed suddenly.

"What?" I questioned. "What is it?"

"But I buried that information so deep..." Audrey murmured to herself.

"What are you talking about?" I exclaimed.

It took her a few minutes to speak. "A member of the Remember Refugees extracted information from my mind," she finally replied.

A/N Oh, no!!! What other information did the Remember Refugees find out? And what are they going to do with this information? 

Ciao,

SiSi