Chapter 41

I was glued to my phone for the rest of the day. Some people were shipping Wil and me, while others were hating on me. I read so many replies calling me a slut, just for a kiss. I couldn't help but imagine the hate if Wil and I were actually dating. I kept reading the replies and retweets, realizing a good amount was support from Wil's fans. Some people were mad at us for not telling them sooner, but there was nothing to tell. It was just a kiss. Wil and I weren't together. As bad as I just wanted to quickly tell everyone that, I knew Wilbur and I needed to talk it over first. This also meant we would have to talk about his other texts. The whole "I love you" thing.

I heard my phone start ringing, and I looked back down at it.

Wil wants to FaceTime.

I quickly sat up and brushed my hand through my hair. I took a deep breath to prepare myself before pressing accept.

"Hey," Wilbur said. His voice was deep. I could tell he hadn't slept. He looked into the camera, his hair wild and his face pale.

"Hi," I responded awkwardly. Neither of us knew what to say. Where were we even supposed to start? "We need to figure out," I tried to say, realizing Wil and I were talking at the same time.

"Sorry, you go ahead." He told me.

"We need to figure out what to say to Twitter," I told him. "I've been seeing people shipping us and others calling me a whore for kissing you."

"Oh my god, are you okay?" Wil asked, his voice concerned.

"I'm fine," I brushed it off. "We just need to let them know that you and I are just friends."

"Just friends?" We both went silent. "You never responded to my texts. You know I don't want to be just friends,"

"Sorry, I meant to respond, but I just didn't know what to say," I confessed.

"Do you love me?" He finally asked.

My mind went blank. I never loved anyone, so I didn't know how that felt. Did I love him? I bit the sides of my cheeks, searching for an answer. Not even an answer, just something to say. "Wil, I told you about my family. We never said I love you or anything. I don't know what that's supposed to feel like. Do I like you?" I paused. "Absolutely. You somehow manage to take my breath away with every sentence. You make me feel like the only person in the world. I do really like you, but I'm not sure about love."

I watched him think over everything I had just said. "Okay,"

"I'm sorry. I know that wasn't a straightforward response, and I just make everything more confusing-"

"No, it's okay. I get that you're not comfortable with love." He tried his best to force a smile, but I could tell he was still hurt. Why couldn't I just say it? I love you. It's not that hard.

"Thanks," I said quietly.

"Okay, for the Twitter thing, what do you want to tell them? Obviously, we're not dating, so how do we tell them that? Just make a tweet? Stream real quick to clear things up?"

"I'm not sure about streaming. That seems too awkward, and I want to make sure we say everything right." I told him.

"Okay, then let's both tweet something. We can just let everyone know we're not dating. Doesn't sound too hard,"

"Yeah, that works. Okay, thank you, Wil. You make this feel a lot less overwhelming." I told him.

He smiled at me, "anytime, Brooklyn." I watched him reach for his phone and hang up the FaceTime. I could tell he wasn't okay.

Five or so minutes later, I saw Wilbur's tweet.

@WilburSoot: I know a lot of you saw the picture of Brooklyn and me. Just to clear things up, we are just friends. Don't freak out over everything you see on the internet. Love you guys!

I retweeted it before scrolling down to see another tweet Wilbur added.

@WilburSoot: Also, don't call people names because of a kiss. It was only a kiss. That doesn't make someone a slut. That's all.

I felt better, knowing we did what we could do. But now, I just felt bad for Wil. He deserved so much better, but he kept doing the most for me. I just don't understand why.

I saw a text from Schlatt pop up;

7:34 pm

I'm picking you up soon

be ready

wtf why

I wanna hang out with you again

are you sure?

yes get ready