58 // unfiltered

CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT
unfiltered
•••

CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHTunfiltered•••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

"What were you going to say?" I asked my dad once Oakley left. I honestly wouldn't mind Oakley being here with me, but I knew my dad would take every moment he could to have me in private.

"So after everything that's happened, I started thinking. And I think most important thing for me is that you're healthy and happy."

I nodded, not exactly seeing where this was going.

"I've talked to your mom, in the moments I got to, and I think her heart is in the right place, but she doesn't really... she doesn't see it the way I do. So I think maybe you need to hear what I have to say too." He ran a hand through his hair as he looked in the distance, searching for the right words, probably.

"Your mom treats you like a client. She wants to give you the best image. She wants you to make the most money. She thinks that will help making you happy, you see? But I think maybe that puts too much pressure on you."

I never really thought about it myself. Pressure. The fuck was that even supposed to be?

"I feel like none of it is you. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?" The way his leg was bouncing up and down stressed me out.

"I- I don't think so?"

"I'm not saying do drugs whenever you please or anything. I'm just saying that the things you do, the things you like, you shouldn't feel like you have to hide them to please others. Pretending like you're the preppy type got you into this mess in the first place."

"I still don't... I don't get it."

"Your entire life, we've been telling you how to act. We told you how to dress, how to speak, what to say, in order to draw negative attention away."

I nodded. I understood it so far.

"But I think, maybe, subconsciously, it might've put some pressure on you."

I didn't understand that part. I guess he noticed my confusion, because he started over.

"Have you ever felt like people wouldn't like you? You haven't done much interviews. You barely go out in public. The last time we did, you snapped."

"But that's the point, isn't it?" I asked. "I need to just be non controversial so I don't get cancelled or whatever. So people don't have a reason to hate me."

"That's where the issue is, Nolan. People are going to hate you regardless. Some people just won't like you, and that's okay. They won't have a reason to dislike you, but it'll just be the way they feel. And that's okay."