75 // the love expert

CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE
the love expert
•••

CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVEthe love expert•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀɪʟʟᴏ

"Hi," he said when he answered the phone. He sounded tired, like he hadn't slept all night with bloodshot eyes surrounded by dark circles.

"Hey, how was your day?" I asked, as I did everyday. He let out a frustrated sound, somewhere between a groan and a sigh. "Wait, are you drunk?"

"Yeah," he said. "Rough day."

"What happened?" I didn't like the fact that he'd become drunk enough to slur his words along, but arguing that wouldn't help.

"Went to a party with my cast mates. One of 'em got drugged. She... I mean someone OD's her I guess. Had to give her Narcan, but I sorta blacked out and well... it worked out in the end, but it was stressful," he said, emphasizing the last world.

My stomach dropped. Someone was drugged, and even though that this shit was horrible if it happened to anyone, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if it were him. "Oh my god, are you okay?" I asked, sitting up.

"Yeah," he said, rubbing his eyes. "Yeah, 'm okay. It's just... I keep thinking about how it would've ended if I weren't there. The others didn't even know what an overdose looked like, they didn't know what to do."

"Don't overthink it. You were there and... you saved a life." He'd told me about how left out he felt, and I was glad he got to go out with them, even after all he was telling me now. "Where is she now?"

"In the hospital, getting checked out."

"Okay. Good," I said. "That means you can take it off your worry-list."

He chuckled and pulled his sheets up to his shoulders, his phone falling over in the process, so I was now watching his ceiling.

"Sorry, I dropped you," he mumbled, picking his phone back up. "I miss you. I wish you were here."

I smiled at him, wishing I could just hold him in my arms and watch him fall asleep, but we were still apart.

"Just a week," I said. A week that felt like a lifetime. I didn't know how we were gonna do this when our life together would truly start. When we lived in the same house, but had to spend months apart as I toured or he filmed.

"How has your day been?" he asked me. "You're releasing something in two weeks?"

"The duet with Hanna," I confirmed. "We recorded the last bits today, so now it's all production work."

"I can't wait to hear it. You should let me be there when recording sometime."

"You want to?" I didn't think he'd be interested. Music was my thing, movies were his thing. This wasn't some high energy fun experience like a concert. This was me singing the same part of a song twenty times to get it just right.