63 // cookies

CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE
cookies
•••

The only trigger warning this time is extreme cuteness :)

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀɪʟʟᴏ

"You're doing it wrong. It's all wrong. It's A major not B sharp it's not this." I played the note he did. "It's this." I played the right chord. He kept going and I banged my head on the piano.

"That's C sharp diminished, it's not the same as A dominant seventh. That's this." I once again played the right notes for him.

"I give up."

"Me too. You're terrible at this."

"Thanks, I hadn't noticed."

"It's like you don't understand it, you don't get it. It's like you're blind and deaf and don't care which I would understand if you'd just told me because it's impossible to teach anyone to play in a week and the way you play genuinely makes my ears bleed out of pure fucking frustration."

"Why are you so mean?" he asked. I didn't want to look at him. "You've snapped at me before, but not like this," he said quietly, playing with the beads on his wristband.

"I'm sorry." Maybe he should leave. I didn't want to hurt him any more than I'd already had.

He rested his head on my shoulder and we just sat there at the piano for at least fifteen minutes. I could feel his heartbeat, I could hear him breathe, I could feel his body heat.

It had been a week and the antidepressants weren't working yet. At least, I didn't feel much of a difference.

"Do you want to leave?" I asked.

"No," he answered, not moving from his position. "I just want you to be nicer."

"I know, I'm an asshole."

"Only sometimes." I could feel him smiling on my shoulder.

"It's not funny, Nolan. I keep saying these hurtful things without thinking."

"But you also apologize. You aren't trying to hurt me."

"Your standards are so low." I was literally doing the bare minimum. He needed someone who'd treat him like he was worth the world; because he was.

"My standards are perfectly fine," he said. "If we're not doing anything now, can we try baking those cookies you love?"

"You don't have to do that, you know?"