46 // Mercury

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
Mercury
•••

CHAPTER FORTY-SIXMercury•••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

"So where are we going?" I asked. He insisted on parking the car at some random, seemingly abandoned gas station. From there we started walking because Oakley didn't want paparazzi snooping around too much—which calmed me down a lot. Luckily it was during the ungodly hours of the morning too. The ones where even the sun hadn't even come up yet.

Obviously, I felt like I could fall asleep at any moment now.

"Just someplace," he said. He grabbed my hand and pulled me across the parking lot. The lights of the gas station were flickering. The harsh white light occasionally lit the way, saving me from falling face-first into the concrete after tripping on a random brick.

"I'm really tired, Oakley," I complained, struggling to keep my eyes open, even as I walked.

"Almost there."

We walked for about ten more minutes before Oakley stopped at some fancy cafe. I frowned as I looked at him, but he didn't say anything as he grinned, eventually pulling out a set of keys from his pocket.

Oakley opened the door of the cafe and pulled me inside.

"I have questions," I said, looking around the place. It had one of those social media aesthetic chalk walls, along with some plants hanging in front of the window, effectively letting moonlight pass through while simultaneously hiding people from the paparazzi of it were daylight.

"It's my dad's. He's as much of a foodaholic as you. I bet you'll get along." He winked at me, making my heart jump just the tiniest bit.

"And he doesn't mind you bringing me here?"

"Nah. As long as I don't mess up the place, it should be fine," he said with a giddy smile before pressing his lips against mine. "Follow me," he said as he pulled away, grabbing my hand again.

He pulled me to what seemed like some outdoor part of the cafe, and the first thing I noticed was the telescope he'd set up right in the middle. He was smiling like a kid after getting his Christmas present. It was adorable.

"So we're stargazing today?" I asked in amusement. He was almost bouncing as he stared at the thing like he'd never seen anything better in his life.

"Yeah! Come see," Oakley said as he ran towards the thing, he looked around and seemingly spotted something that caught his attention.

"Come on, Babe! I have to show you something."

"Babe?" I asked, making my way towards him.

"Yup, that's you." He kissed my cheek. My skin grew hotter and I couldn't hold back my smile. He then made me sit down in the chair in front of us.