31 // fraud

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
fraud
•••

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONEfraud•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

My mind drifted back to my first ever tour. I was the opener for the North American leg of Benjamin's tour, back when I only had one EP of six songs released.

I wasn't used to hours on a bus and only my dad could come with me for half the tour. Back then, all I could think about was if people were going to like what I made. All I wanted was for people to hear and appreciate my art. To me, that was the dream.

Benjamin basically took me under his wing as my mentor, and he taught me a lot about touring. That's when I realized this was what I wanted. This was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I was certain of it.

After that tour, life wasn't the same anymore. It was almost as though I blew up overnight after I came with the single promoting my second EP. That meant it was time for a solo tour, which honestly scared me shitless because I knew I was all alone. And I knew everyone came for me. They were judging me. But at the same time it was all I dreamed of. People listening to and appreciating my art.

Fast forward a year later and it had become regular to me. An album was written. I toured the world. Another album was written and I toured the world again.

And now I was here. Three EP's and two albums in the past three years.

The bus was moving. I was doing this once again. My forth headline tour. This was the first time I wasn't happy.

I felt unprepared. I finished the last EP so close to the tour date that we barely had any time to practice. Thank god it was only an EP, so a lot of the songs on the setlist were already familiar. Especially since I usually had the same band. Kaia, Maurice, and Danny.

Maurice could honestly go to hell right now.

"Oh come on. We haven't even been driving for an hour yet. Who decided it was a good idea to start microwaving fucking mac and cheese right now? I swear to god, it's Danny, isn't it?"

"If you don't like it here, you can join the other bus," I said, resting my head on the back of the couch, trying to relax. Just like always, Maurice pretended I wasn't there.

"Where is that fag anyways?"

The fact that he used that word on the regular already annoyed me before, but hell did it piss me off now. For obvious reasons.

I closed my eyes, trying to ignore him. I ate the cookies Nolan gave me as a distraction. I was already halfway through. They were fucking heaven.

"Maurice, just shut up," Kaia jumped in. "You're gonna get yourself fired."

"As if I want to work for this spoiled teen—"

"I'm turning twenty in a few months," I interrupted. I opened my eyes to see him looking at me with such anger. Where did this guy get this attitude from?