68 // put yourself first

CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT
put yourself first
•••

CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHTput yourself first •••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

"What are you doing here?" was the first thing I asked when Ava appeared in front of my door.

"Oh my god, I'm so happy to see you too, Nolan!"

"I'm sorry," I said, but I smiled upon realizing she was actually here. "I really missed you. My mind has been... in a million different places lately."

"It's fine. I missed you too, Nolan," she said, hugging me out of nowhere. Not like I minded. She was just crazy fast.

"Anyway, come in. Seriously, where did you come from?"

"I told you weeks ago I'd be coming. How could you forget?" she asked dramatically.

"I'm sorry! Lots on my mind," I said. Between everything that's happened with Oakley and the script I had to remember, I totally forgot about Ava.

"Does it have anything to do with... you know who?" she asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I guess," I said, awkwardly standing there as I scratched on my arm. He was supposed to come over after his appointment with his therapist.

"When do I get to see him?"

"Probably in..." I checked my phone, and realized it had been roughly an hour and a half when he called me from the waiting room. He should've been here already. "I don't know where he is. He'll probably get here in a few minutes."

"Wait, you're not kidding?" she asked, her eyes wide. "Oh no, what do I do? How do I make a good impression?"

"You'll be fine," I assured her. The doorbell rang, and I practically flew to the door to hear what happened at the session, but sadly, it was just my dad.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Were you waiting for someone?"

"Yes. I was waiting for Oakley," I said. "I thought you still had a key?"

"I do," he said, not explaining why he didn't bother to use it. He didn't tell me why he was here in the first place.

Once we reached the living room, Ava had already made herself comfortable on the couch, looking for something to watch on the TV.

"Dad, this is Ava. Ava, my dad," I said. Ava looked up so quickly I swear I could hear something crack in her neck.

"Nice to meet you," my dad said with the smile he liked to use for late-night shows.