9 // out of love

CHAPTER NINE
out of love
•••

CHAPTER NINEout of love•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

The ice cream shop was definitely a place I didn't visit enough.

It was quiet and I didn't feel as though I was stared at from every corner. The windows were completely covered, shielding us from the paparazzi.

A broad man stood behind the counter, smiling when he saw us. The rest of the place was nearly empty, apart from the woman sitting by the frosted glass window staring at her phone.

"Hi, can I have vanilla and chocolate on a cone?" I asked the man who's name tag had 'Barry' written down on it.

"Nolan, what do you want?" I asked him. He looked down at the flavors of ice cream while Barry was scooping mine on a cone.

"Chocolate and chocolate chip. In a cup, please," he said quietly.

I paid for both of us and handed him his ice cream.

Nolan and I sat down in a corner of the shop, where the light was slightly more yellow from the rest of the room due to the lack of actual sunlight.

"What brought you here, actually?" I asked him, trying to make conversation.

Even though the last time things were messy, I really did enjoy talking to him. There was just something about him which I particularly liked, but I didn't know what it was.

"The ice cream," he mumbled. "It's my favorite place."

"Mine too." I smiled.

He glanced at my face for a second before looking back at his ice cream, a blush spreading on his cheeks.

"So what kind of music do you usually listen to?" I asked him. Maybe I'd be able to get inspired, in some way. I could still make the day useful.

"Oh, I don't know," he said. "No one in particular."

I looked at him through squinted eyes. Did he really have no preferences?

"Something wrong?" he asked, his browns set in a frown.

I felt as though there was nothing I could do to fix this. I was stuck.

"It's just... I need to have a song ready by Saturday. I don't have any inspiration. I really just need a break."

"Why don't you take one?"

"They already announced a tour. Without my knowledge. I didn't even know they could do that." I slouched down in my chair, waiting for the floor to swallow me.

For once in my life, I just wanted to disappear for a while. This was the first time in my life where it felt as though music was the problem, rather than the solution.