30 // only if you're into that

CHAPTER THIRTY
only if you're into that
•••

CHAPTER THIRTYonly if you're into that•••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

I picked him up at his house, like we agreed upon. I now sat in my car, waiting for him to come outside, which honestly didn't take too long.

"Hey there," he said as he sat down in the passenger's seat.

"Hi," I mumbled back, smiling at him.

I hadn't been on a date in years. I could already feel my face heating up just by his presence. Why did I agree to this again?

"So, where are we going?" Oakley asked, his gaze fixed on me.

"Someplace in the woods," I said, until I realized I sounded like a damn serial killer. "It's— it's just a place I used to go when I wanted to be alone. I'll just drive to my house and we can walk from there."

"So you're taking me to your private space? I must be really special," Oakley said, grinning proudly.

"Oh trust me, I have better spots," I said, now grinning myself. "Maybe one day I'll take you there."

The drive wasn't too long. We both sat there in silence until we reached my house.

The house me and my mom lived in wasn't over the top. Like yeah, it was big and had more than we needed, but it wasn't as big as for example my dad's. My dad had houses scattered all over the world, basically. Each and every one of the way too roomy for a single person.

"Follow me," I said, I adjusted the straps on my backpack and lead the way on the pathway that led to the back.

"God, this is an entire park on its own," Oakley said, looking around the garden. I've always found it rather boring. The perfectly mowed grass. The perfectly clipped hedges and trees. It always looked more like a resort than a home to me.

"Just wait," I said.

I opened the door in the back, which led to a part of forest area. A hiking trail led basically directly to my door. And just a few minutes away, there was a clearing. One where no one ever really went except for me.

"I swear to god, if you're secretly a serial killer—" Oakley said.

"I promise you, I'm not," I said, turning around to look at him.

"That's exactly what a serial killer would say," he retorted, not looking at me, but smiling nonetheless.

"Guess you'll just have to take that risk," I said, smiling once more before turning back around. Oakley caught up to me and continued walking in silence.

"We're almost there," I said. And a few seconds later we did.

It used to be an empty clearing, but I loved coming here since it was close to home and private. I managed to hang a swing on one of the trees a few years ago, and I placed a storage box with some useful stuff in it too. There was also a picnic table, so I liked to assume this was someone's secret hiding spot before. Likely someone who lived in our house before we did. As far as I was aware, it was just a random family who weren't well-known. Just rich.