47 // I fell down a rabbit hole

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
I fell down a rabbit hole
•••

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVENI fell down a rabbit hole •••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀɪʟʟᴏ

It was award show season. I'd spent hours in the studio, perfecting the vocals for one of my more recently written songs. It took a long time of convincing and altering, but I didn't end up making something that both satisfied me and the label. Compromises. That was the secret.

As for the silencing, it was complicated. They eased up a bit on me, but any mistake I would make could be detrimental. But it was okay. It had been fixed for now. I was thriving, and I was soaring with energy.

My mom did look through the contract and told me I'd fucked up by signing it. But the damage was done. I couldn't exactly go back in time and fix it now. All I could do was compromise.

"Wade, I can trust you, right?" I asked my driver. He wasn't much of a talker, so he just gave me a thumbs up. Wade was amazing. Despite all the words I'd exchanged with my friends with Wade behind the wheel, not one of those things had ever been discussed outside the car.

So of course, after Wade's confirmation, I stepped out of the car, Nolan looking at me with a confused frown.

"Hi there, stranger."

"Oakley, what's going on?" I'd called him ten minutes ago that I'd be in front of his house.

"I wanted to see you before claiming my meaningless prizes," I said, shrugging. I slowly grabbed his hand, and I couldn't fucking stop smiling like a lunatic. Nolan looked like a lost puppy with his eyes wide open in confusion and his mouth slightly dropped open.

I couldn't not kiss him. Impossible.

"Oakley, I like you a lot, but you get confusing sometimes," he said, this time a very timid smile playing on his lips. "You're okay, right?"

"I'm more than okay, Nolan," I said, and then I kissed him again. Though I didn't miss the way his eyes shot to the car for a flash of a second before he looked down at the floor.

"Wade's cool. Never says anything. I'm not even sure I know what he sounds like, actually." I giggled at the thought. I really couldn't remember what he sounded like.

"You should probably go. You're running late," Nolan said, playing with my fingers. "You look really good, by the way," he added, the cool greys of his eyes meeting the warm browns of mine again.

"Hm, really?" I asked. "What do you like about me so much? Is it the hair? Gen always says it's the dimple, but it's weird. I mean, why the hell just one? That's weird. I'm completely asymmetrical because of the thing."

"Oakley, award show, remember?"

"Okay, okay! I'm leaving!" I said, pressing one last kiss on Nolan's lips.