3

Jocelyn Fray had expected many things when Clary and Davina arrived back from celebrating Clary's birthday. Drunken ramble, vomit and passing out. What she did not expect was for them to return with talk of demons, glowing swords and Davina killing a man with tentacles. 

"And then these creepy tentacles seemed to come out of the bodybuilder's face, and then the guy just vaporized. I mean, I was drugged, right?"

"What did the markings look like on the blonde boy you were talking about?"

"Who cares, Mom, okay? Are you even listening to me? I think Davina killed a guy,"

"Girls, did they look like this?"

Jocelyn pulls out a silver stick with what looked like a crystal on the end and swipes it over her arm. The two girls stare in shock as a marking, similar to those on the blonde boy, appears on Jocelyn's arm.

"Mom, what the-"

"We've done acid before- I mean heard about acid trips," Davina corrects herself. "But this- What- I-"

"Everything you saw tonight has a meaning and an explanation, and I've dreaded having this conversation with you since the day you were born," Jocelyn says.

"What is going on? Am I going insane?"

"No, you're not. But the protections are wearing off. You're 18 now, and you need to know the truth"

"Protections? What does that even mean? Mom, you- Mom, you're scaring the hell out of me"

"I know, and that's why I've put this off until the last possible minute,"

The sound of a car engine causes Davina to run to the window to see two men in black suits and sunglasses heading towards her mother's shop. 

"Jocelyn, are you involved in the mafia?" Davina asks.

"Magnus called," Davina turns at the sound of her mother's voice. "They found you"

Jocelyn rushes over to where Davina was looking out of the window and her entire composure changes.

"Dot, it's time," Jocelyn says before grabbing Clary's shoulders. "Okay, listen to me. You cannot be near me"

"What's happening?"

"I got a very powerful person angry,"

"What did you do?" Clary asks.

"I hid something from him and his followers,"

"Followers? Mom, why can't we just call the police?" Clary asks.

"The policeman you need to call is Luke. Keep this with you and think of me when you wear it" Jocelyn says as Davina stands looking out the window at the men in suits as they advance on the building.

Jocelyn reaches into a cupboard pulling out a necklace with a large purple stone attached to the chain before putting it around Clay's neck and attaching the clip.

"Mom, this is not the time for more birthday gifts. What the hell is happening?" Clary asks.

"Only if you need it," Dot says.

In Dot's hand was a round vial containing a luminescent green liquid which did not look consumable.

"Trust your instincts. You're more powerful than you know. Both of you"

"Mom, I need to understand what's-"

"Dot, open it," Jocelyn says.

Davina's eyes almost double in size when glowing blue smoke appears between her mother's hands before the double doors to Jocelyn's studio fly open, a swirling purple mass forming between the doors.