10

Jace, Alec, Davina, Isabelle, and Clary arrive with the van at the graveyard to pick up weapons for their mission.

"Whose grave is it?" Alec asks.

"Mary Milligan, born January 10th, 1802. Died January 10th, 1878." Isabelle reads.

"What a birthday," Davina comments. 

"All right, Alec, let's go," Jace says.

"Wait, what are we looking for?" Davina asks.

"Cache of weapons"

"Stashed here with Mrs Milligan," Jace says.

"Why are there Shadowhunter weapons in a churchyard?" Davina asks.

"Because all of the ancient religions recognize demons. Or at least they used to" Isabelle says.

"They forgot about the threat because we've been here to protect them. Typical mundane failure of imagination" Alec says.

"Are you saying we did too good a job? You just can't let up, can you?" Isabelle says.

"You know what? Alec, why don't you go check out by the angel? We couldn't gear up at the Institute, but we know our ancestors left a cache around here someplace. We'll find it" Jace says.

"I always wondered where my dad was buried. I used to wish he was still alive. Be careful what you wish for" Clary says.

"This isn't your fault," Jace says.

"This is all my fault"

"Clary for once, I beg of you be quiet," Davina's voice was sharp and cold, her annoyance resonating through.

Isabelle's cell phone chimes and she grins.

"Excellent. He's home. I'm outta here" Isabelle says.

"Wait, aren't you coming with us?" Clary asks.

"Oh, I wouldn't miss it for the world, but I gotta find out how to get into the vampires' lair," Isabelle says.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do" Jace calls after Isabelle's retreating figure.

"I imagine that list is short," Davina says.

"Jace... over here!"

"Yeah, coming. Are you gonna be all right?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'll be fine. I'm just, um... Just give me a minute, okay?" Clary says.

"Okay," Jace says.

"Are you scared?" Clary asks.

"Are you kidding?" Davina asks. "I'm terrified. There!"

"Jace! Alec! I think we found it! Mary Milligan!" Clary calls.

Clary brushes some of the dirt off the headstone as Davina shines her phone torch. Alec and Jace arrive from another one of their intense conversations, inspecting the headstone.

"Beloved servant? Who wants that on a headstone?" Davina asks.

"Someone who is in service to a cause greater than themselves," Alec says.

"At least she is now. Abracadabra," Jace says.

"Wait, you people actually say that?" Clary asks and Davina shakes her head at the question.

"Lord give me strength,"

"No, Clary, we don't," Jace says.

Jace traces the angelic rune on the grave with his stele. Alec and Jace open up the grave. Inside, they see swords and steles.

"Wow. Where's Mrs Milligan?" Clary asks.

"I imagine there isn't much left of her," Davina replies. 

Clary picks up a blade and Alec takes it from her instantly.

"Don't touch that. You don't know how to use it" Alec says.

"What, like at Pandemonium when I killed that demon?" Clary says.

"You didn't kill-" Alec says. "Davina killed the demon! Impressively might I add"

"Thank you very much Alec," 

"Alec. I'm gonna show Davina the right way to use it. Do you see what you need in here?"

"No. There's no bow here. I need one. I have to rune some arrows. That's back at the Institute. I gotta go" Alec says.

"Well, how are you gonna get back into the Institute?" Jace asks.

"Go in the back. Won't bother me if I'm with Clary. I'll just say I was teaching her to rune weapons"

"Okay, good. Go. I can finish up here"

Alec and Clary walk away and now Jace and Davina are alone.

"Okay, let me show you how to use this thing. Now, it knows you're a Shadowhunter, so it wants to respond. But you have to be firm with it. Let it know who's boss" Jace says.

Jace stands behind Davina and lays his hand on her hand, on the sword. Davina looks at it curiously when it lights up.

"There. You make it a part of yourself and it a part of you. Now, the blade never dims. It's saying you belong together"

"How does it know?"

"'Cause you're part angel, Davina like all Shadowhunters"

They push the blade forwards and it's like the air moves.

"You understand?"

Davina looks up at Jace and his eyes flicker to her lips.

"Not even a little" Davina whispers.

"You'll get there. It's not something you understand in your mind. It's something you know because it's pulsing through your body. It's in your blood" Jace says.

Davina steps forward and feels the air pulsate around her.

"Could I even do this without you?" Davina asks.

"You just did," Jace says and Daina turns to face him.

"But it felt like you were still with me," Davina says and Jace looks down, staring into her eyes.

"I am" Jace whispers before clearing his throat. "I will be. We- we will be there for you"

"How do you know they'll come back?" Davina asks.

"Who? Alec and Izzy?"

"Yeah"

"We were raised together. They're basically my brother and sister"

"You know Alec doesn't like Clary, right?"

"Alec doesn't like anybody"

"Why would he help us?" Davina asks.

"Did you hear what he called me just then? We're parabatai. No human bond compares to what Alec and I have. We're bound together for life. Bound to fight together, to protect each other. In battle, our hearts beat as one. If one of us were to die a part of the other would die inside as well. He'll be here, Davina. Are you ready?"

"I'm ready"

"You look ready"

"Don't be fooled"