16

Davina's eyes take in Magnus' lair. Dead bodies of Circle members and warlocks were scattered across the floor. Pools of blood were seeping into the hardwood floor, staining it a deep red. 

"Hold tight everyone," Magnus snaps Davina out of her thoughts. "We're about to move"

Blue ripples of magic seep from Magnus' hands, radiating across the apartment. Davina's eyes watch as the view of downtown Brooklyn becomes a clear view of the Brooklyn Bridge. 

"Ah much better," Magnus claps his hands together. "After each move, I get the itch to redecorate. Normally I love a dirty lair but this one is just sloppy"

To emphasise his point, Magnus uses his magic to change the design of his coffee table as his eyes lock onto Alec. The confusion was visible upon Alec's face much to the amusement of Davina who knew Magnus' ways. Magnus' attention turns to Isabelle who was watching the interaction from the sidelines. 

"I believe in payment for services rendered," Magnus holds up his hand, causing the ruby necklace to drop from his fist.

The ruby was dangling in front of Isabelle's face as she reaches out but doesn't dare to touch it. 

"I couldn't,"

"Oh but you could," Magnus says, every bit the snake that tempted Eve with the apple. "And you should. The Lightwoods have been wearing this necklace for years. Besides this would look silly on your brother. About Alec, is he more of a flower or a cologne man"

"Cologne," Davia and Isabelle whisper in sync before shooting each other grins.

"Okay," Clary's voice slices through their conversation like an executioner's axe. "So how do we summon the memory demon"

"Are you certain?" Magnus' tone held plenty of warning about their plan. "Summoning such a powerful demon could be lethal. Especially for a new Shadowhunter such as yourself"

"Davina is also new," Clary's tone was petulant and Davina rolls her eyes. 

"There are things you still do not know about this world Clary," Magnus says. "Do not assume that everything is as it seems. So I ask you again, are you certain?" 

"I'll do anything to save my mother," Clary replies. "Where is the demon?"

"Okay, pretty boy, get your team ready,"

"I know what to do," Jace nods and Magnus outstretches a hand, stopping Jace in his tracks. 

"I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to-" Magnus' finger points at Alec who looks baffled. "You"

Davina snorts at Jace's bewildered face as Alec clears his throat uncomfortably.

"Oh priceless," Davina sighs happily before turning to Magnus, pointing an accusing finger. "Behave"

"Strawberry, come with me," Magnus extends his arm and Davina loops hers through.

The pair walk down the hallway to enter a room full of books that clearly varied in age and some of them had clearly been read more than others.

"Davina," Magnus' tome was apologetic. "Dot and I, we wanted to-"

"I know," Davina cuts Magnus off. "You and my mom, everything you did was to keep me safe"

"There's one other thing," Magnus says. "Dot and I, we put a glamour spell on you, bound to my life force. Which meant only I could remove the spell when I deemed fit or when I died"

Magnus waves his hand and Davina feels a weight that she had never noticed before lift off of her. She turns to Magnus who was holding up a mirror. Davina looked in the mirror to see herself but a version of herself that was so different to the appearance she had known for the last eighteen years. Her ears were pointed at the top and all the baby fat in her face was gone, making her face all angles and slants. All blemishes on her skin had been removed, it was as if she had been airbrushed in real life. But the most noticeable difference was the vine tattoo that started on the middle finger of her left hand and trailed up to just past her jaw.