14

"Magnus Bane," Hodge says. "He's over 300 years old. And, as you can see, he's not exactly shied away from the pleasures of every century. His tastes are both exquisite and quite excessive"

"He looks like the Downworld's David Guetta," Clary says.

"I love Magnus' fashion sense," Davina sighs dreamily. "It's so bold"

"Guetta's already a Downworlder. Vampire? Ever seen him in the daylight?" Isabelle says.

Davina snickers and Isabelle shoots her a grin before an unamused Alec speaks up.

"Can you three focus? This is not a joke"

"Someone needs to gets slayed" Isabelle says.

"Alec's right. Now, Magnus is one of the most powerful warlocks I've ever known. He has a deep mistrust of Shadowhunters" Hodge says. "But fortunately, we have one thing we didn't know we had. A way in, Davina"

"Well, then why did he help my mom remove my memories? Isn't she a Shadowhunter?" Clary asks.

"Yes, one of the best. But "help" might not be the most accurate word," Hodge says. "Now, did Magnus provide a service for Jocelyn? Perhaps. But more than likely, your mother paid Magnus handsomely for his magic"

"Warlocks usually require payment before they help anyone with anything," Jace says.

"Word from the Clave is that most of the warlocks have gone into hiding since Valentine began hunting them"

"Valentine must be searching for the warlock, where did Jocelyn-"

Hodge's circle rune burns and he groans.

"Hodge, your rune. You okay?" Clary asks and receives a nod in response. "So how do we find Magnus?"

"We don't. Magnus finds us. We'll set up a meeting, somewhere protected. Lure him out of hiding" Jace says.

"And I know exactly where we do it"

Isabelle grabs the tablet from Hodge and swipes through some pictures. She stops at a VIP party for Downworlders.

"A Downworld rave. Nice, Izzy" Jace says.

"And where'd you get that?" Alec asks.

"During my surveillance of the Downworlders. From what I hear, Magnus likes to party"

"He does," Davina says. "He owns Pandemonium"

"He'll never go for it. Not with Valentine trying to kill him" Alec says.

"Of course, he will. He'll blend in. Hide in plain sight" Jace says.

"I don't know, it seems-" Clary says.

"Trust me. If Magnus is coming out of hiding, he's going to one of the biggest parties of the year" Davina says.

"Never underestimate Magnus' hedonism. Or his greed. Come with me" Hodge says.

Hodge activates a rune on a tile on the ground and moves the tile. A necklace with a red stone is hidden under it. Hodge picks it up.

"Is that real?" Isabelle asks.

"A four-karat, unheated Burmese ruby. And this necklace has special meaning to Magnus Bane as it was a gift from him to his then-lover, Camille Belcourt" Hodge says.

"What, Camille and Magnus were lovers?" Clary asks.

"Warlock gets around," Jace says.

"Magnus bought it in 1857 for the price of his London townhouse. Now, the jewel is enchanted by a spell that alerts the wearer to the presence of demons"

"It's so beautiful," Isabelle says and Davina nods.

"Magnus has longed to reunite with this necklace. Offer it to him. He might just take the bait" Hodge says.

"I'll send Magnus a fire message to arrange the meeting. We have to get to Magnus before Valentine does"

"I could just text him," Davina says.

"No, we need to set this up formally," Jace says. "Or else Valentine could get wind and this all goes wrong"

Clary and Davina walk into Isabelle's room and Davina observes that clothes and glitter are everywhere.

"Jace said you wanted to see us?"

"That's right. What are you wearing to the Downworlder party tonight?" Isabelle asks.

"I don't know. I was just thinking about wearing this" Clary says.

"I was going to come and ask you if I can borrow something"

"I don't think so. No Downworlder would be caught dead in that. Plus, it's a party, not a poetry slam" Isabelle says.

"Well, I don't really have any party clothes with me, so-"

"So you'll have to wear mine, hmm?"

Isabelle holds up a pink, glittery dress to Davina.

"No," Davina says. "I do glitter, I don't do pink"

"You realize, one of these days you're gonna have to tell me where and when," Clary says.

"Where and when what?" Isabelle asks, wrapping a feather boa around Davina.

"Where you get your spending money and when you're letting me go to a store?"

"With your clothes taste-" Davina says. "Never"

"Here" Isabelle hands Davina a gold dress and a white jacket made of fur. 

Davina takes the dress and steps behind the screen before pulling the dress on and the jacket.

"Shoes," Isabelle says in a sing-song voice, sliding them under the divider.

Davina pulls on the gold shoes and steps out to look in the mirror as Isabelle arranges her hair.

"Someone's looking badass," Jace says.

"Oh, thanks," Davina says.

"She cleans up well. I'm gonna go see Alec. He never knows what to wear to these parties either. Come, Clary"

Isabelle walks out with Clary in tow, a black dress in her hands.

"I mean most Shadowhunters wear black but I think this looks better," Jace says.

"Thank you," Davina says.

"I guess it's pointless for me to ask you to stay behind, while I go meet Magnus by myself. Things could get sticky. Magnus is being hunted"

"You could never make me do anything Jace Wayland," Davina meets his eyes in the mirror. "It's cute you think you could"

"You'll need a weapon," Jace says, handing Davina a seraph blade. "You know how to use one of these"

"I'm almost as good as you," Davina cocks her eyebrow and Jace scoffs. "Oh dear, did I bruise your ego?" 

"You could never,"

Davina turns so she's facing Jace before placing her hand on his face, her voice dropping to a whisper. 

"Just what someone with a bruised ego would say,"