4

The streets of Brooklyn were almost empty as a redheaded woman with a vine tattoo on her face hurried through the streets

The streets of Brooklyn were almost empty as a redheaded woman with a vine tattoo on her face hurried through the streets. The only light she had to guide her was that of the lamps lining the streets, illuminating the small bundle in her arms. She stopped before an apartment building and rang the doorbell. Davina's home.

The woman knocks on the door and Dot opens the door, her expression changing to one of distaste once she realises who it was knocking at her door. A quiet conversation ensues between the two women, one seemingly begging and Dot was shaking her head.

"Why me?" Dot asks, leaning against the door frame. "I know nothing about children or taking care of them. I never thought to learn"

"Magnus Bane trusts you with his life," The red-headed woman says, rocking the baby in her arms gently. "Jackson Branwell has his own, pure Shadowhunter child to look after and wants nothing to do with her. His half-breed child"

"Why can't you look after her?" Dot asks in confusion.

"I have many enemies," The redheaded woman says. "I love my child, I love her to the extent that I have to let her go"

"When do I tell her the truth?" Dot asks.

"When I decide it will be safe for her to be known by her true title," The woman says. "But until that day comes, until the Seelie court is safe, I want her to live as though she was a mundane"

The woman brushes the hair out of the sleeping baby's face.

"My beautiful Davina," The woman says, pressing a kiss to the baby's forehead before handing her to Dot. "My beloved"

Davina's dream is interrupted with a gasp when she shoots up in bed. She quickly sits upright, but her journey to find her bearings is blocked as she slams her forehead into someone else's.

"Shit," Davina hisses, raising her hand to rub the impact site.

"Ouch, "Davina's eyes move up to see the stunning brunette from the club sat at the end of her bed. 

"You were at the club," 

"I'm Isabelle. I've never seen Jace so curious about a mundane or distracted. Like you saw earlier, distractions are dangerous in our line of work" Isabelle says.

"If you're going to just drop cryptic statements, please stop talking," Davina huffs. "It's really of no use to me"

"You really don't know much, do you?"

"I watched two men abduct Clary's mother and my mother morphed into a creature of nightmares and now I'm here," 

"And by "here" I assume you mean "saved your life"?" Isabelle asks.

Footsteps stop Davina from providing a sarcastic retort to Isabelle's question and she looks up to see the blonde that had carried her from the apartment and his brunette friend from the club with Clary in tow.