27

Davina's eyes move to the corner of the room where her eyes lock upon Camille. The vampire was still wearing her infamous red dress and had an infuriating smirk on her lips.

"You're not real," Davina whispers. "You can't get into the institute"

"Even though that may be true," Camille begins. "You know why I'm here Davina and you know who's name to scream"

Davina looks at the cracked pair of glasses in Camille's hand as the familiar whispers fill her head. 

"Do it Davina," Camille hisses. "Scream"

"SIMON!"

Davina's scream fills the institute once again causing Jace to throw down his book and sprint to Davina's room. He throws open the door to find Davina pulling on a jacket, shoes already on her feet. 

"We need to go," Davina says. 

"Go where?"

"To Simon's, he's in danger," Davina says. "Now Jace, come on"

Davina runs out of her room and heads straight towards the front of the institute, ignoring Alec as she heads for the main entrance.

"Davina?" Alec asks. "What's going on Jace?"

"When I know, I'll let you know"

The duo follow Davina out the front doors and her eyes lock on a familiar figure, holding something large in their arms. Alec and Jace draw their weapons shouting commands at the approaching figure.

"Don't move"

"Drop what you're holding. Put your hands up"

A the figure steps into the light, it is revealed to be Raphael and the item in his arms is the body of Simon. Davina lets out a choked cry as she stumbles back slightly. Jace is quick to react, wrapping his arms around Davina, holding her upright and steady as Davina's hand comes to her mouth.

"Oh, my God, Simon!"

"How did she know?" Alec asks.

Jace leads them through a back entrance to the institute basement where there is a stone table. Raphael gently lays Simon's body on the table, his head falls to the side as he does so.

"People will be wondering what we found outside the perimeter," Jace says

"I'll go. I'll tell them we didn't find anything. Nobody will come down here"

Alec exits, giving Davina a comforting squeeze on her shoulder.

"I might be a vampire but I was raised a good Catholic," Raphael says before making the sign of the cross.

"The Vampires breached the Accords. Killing Simon is grounds for war" Isabelle says.

"The Vampires were not behind this. Just Camille. She attacked Simon on her own"

"And how do we know you're telling the truth?"

"I believe him," Davina says. "I saw her"

"I could have gotten rid of him, but instead I brought him here. I don't want trouble with the Shadowhunters" Raphael says.

"Smart decision," Isabelle says.

"I warned the mundane to stay away but Camille gave him a taste of her own blood, and like an addict, he came back wanting more," Raphael says.

"The only reason Simon ever tasted Camille's blood is because of you! You kidnapped him! You drug him to the Hotel DuMort. You- You delivered him to Camille!" Clary shouts.

"I never meant for this to happen," Raphael says.

"Simon. Simon, please come back, please!" Clary begs as Davina stares at Simon's body, no emotion on her face.

"There is a way," Raphael says.

"'A way' what?" Jace asks.

"A way to bring Simon back," Raphael says.

"You can do that? How? How?" Clary asks.

"He's a fledgling. It's a state of transition. Your friend can be resurrected"

"He wouldn't want that," Davina says.

"So I could have Simon back? Alive and breathing?" Clary asks.

"That's just it. He won't return alive or breathing"

"He'll be a vampire," Davina says, rubbing her left arm with her right hand.

"And not the sexed-up, romantic kind. The ugly, bloodsucking, coffin-dwelling kind" Jace says.

"That's offensive," Raphael says.

"Really?" Jace asks.

"Coffin implies a wooden box. We have caskets now. They're made of 14-karat gold"

"My bad" Jace says.

"It's almost sunrise. Simon must be turned into a vampire tonight or staked through the heart" Raphael says.

"And if we do neither?"

"His soul will be trapped for eternity. You have till sunset to decide. The clock is ticking" Raphael says.

Davina is listening to her voicemails which are full of Simon's panicked voice.

"Davina, I really need to talk. Clary isn't answering her calls. I think I'm turning into a vampire. I'm scared"

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there. This is all my fault" Davina whispers, pushing strands of hair from Simon's forehead.

"Davina, this isn't your-"

"No, it is! If it weren't for me and Clary, Simon would have never even known about the Shadow World. He would never have been kidnapped by vampires. He wouldn't have met Camille. He would- He wouldn't be dead"

"Fledgling. He's in transition"

"Shut up," Davina snaps at Raphael.

"And now I am left with two- two reprehensible choices- And I can't figure out which one is worse. If I, uh- if I bury Simon- what are the risks?" Clary says.

"Clary, no. Absolutely not," Jace shakes his head.

"Jace, I need to know!" Clary says.

"If Simon is buried and he doesn't emerge, he would be trapped under the earth, starving for eternity"

"Oh, my God. And, uh- if I- if I stake him?"

"He'll die a human death. It's painless, as far as I know"

"Simon, I'm so sorry"

"Clary, don't do this," Davina says. "He wouldn't want this"

 "He wouldn't want this"