28

Simon's house had become a home for Davina with Elaine taking her and Clary in as her own. Jace had joined Davina on this trip but was glamoured so Elaine couldn't see him. Davina had never felt uncomfortable in the Lewis household until today. When she had to tell Elaine that her son wasn't coming home.

"This is an awful idea," Jace says. "You're not going to tell her the real story are you?"

"Don't worry, I'm just gonna tell her there was an accident. That, um that Simon's not coming back. I owe his mother that much. She loves him. She needs closure"

Elaine enters, two iced teas in her hands and she hands one to Davina who smiles up at her gratefully.

"I haven't heard anything from Simon since yesterday, Davina" Elaine says. "And he flipped out on Rebecca and me. And then just disappeared. Have you heard from him? Or have you seen him? Should I be calling the police?"

"No. No, don't do that. If we needed to, I would have called Luke," Davina says.

"I just want to know if he's all right," Elaine says. 

"I saw him" Davina blurts out before she can stop herself.

"Oh, my God. You did? Where?"

Elaine sits on the coffee table so she's opposite Davina and it's clear she's listening intensely to everything Davina is saying. 

"Where is he? Is he okay?"

"No. Not exactly" Davina says.

Jace stands up straight at Davina's words, his eyes locked on the redhead who anxiously begins to pick at the threads on her skirt.

"Is it drugs? I mean, he said that it wasn't, but-"

"No," Davina is quick to stop Elaine's panicked spiral. "It isn't drugs, I promise"

"Davina, I'm his mother, whatever the truth is I can handle it,"

"Okay, look, the truth is-"

Jace purposely knocks one of the monkey figures that resided on the bookshelf onto the ground. Elaine's head snaps up but sees nobody, only the figurine which now lays on the floor.

"What the-"

Eliane walks over to the bookcase which Jace uses as a chance to approach Davina who was clearly panicking.

"What are you doing?"

"Have you ever had to tell someone their child is not coming home?" Davina hisses. "It's hard to do!"

"Be careful"

"I will"

Elaine picks up the monkey from the ground and held the monkey in her hand, a soft smile on her face.

"Simon got this for me for Mother's Day. You know, 'cause he's my little monkey. Davina, I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him. Rebecca and Simon, they're all I have. After I lost their father- But you were saying? To tell me the truth-"

"Um-"

Davina ends up standing in Simon's room, Jace following her as she sits on Simon's desk chair. She was playing with one of the pencils she had found on Simon's desk.

"Davina... What happened to the plan? Tell her that Simon's not coming home"

 What happened to the plan? Tell her that Simon's not coming home"

"Do you know how hard that is?" Davina says. "I would do anything to see my mom again, I don't want to take that from Elaine. I tried, okay? I just- I can't"

"Would you stop for a second, and think about what you're doing?"

"I am, Jace, okay? It's like my brain is telling me to do one thing and my heart another and-"

"Okay. Look there was a boy and his father bought him a falcon for his sixth birthday"

"Are you seriously telling me a story right now?" Davina snaps.

"Please, just listen. His father told him to tame the bird. Make it obedient"

"That's crazy"

"The boy would spend every day with that falcon. It would scratch at him. Make him bleed. But eventually, he earned its trust. He brought the bird to his father, to show him that the bird would come back to him. He thought his father would be proud"

"And he was, right?"

"No, Davina. His father took the falcon and snapped its neck"

"Okay, that's quite possibly the worst story I have ever heard. I know you're not who to go to when I need a bedtime story"

"You're missing the point. Yes, the boy was devastated. But he realized his father was right. He was told to tame the bird, not to love it. That's why you have to listen to your head. If I listened to my heart, I'd never have been able to do my job. The third rule of Shadowhunting, emotions cloud judgment" Jace says.

"Jace, if- if being a Shadowhunter means that I have to be dead inside. I'm not sure I want to be one," Davina says. "Do you know what the first rule of being mundane is?"

"What?"

"It's that emotions make us human and real," Davina says. "If you resist your emotions, you resist being human"

 "If you resist your emotions, you resist being human"