23

Davina takes Jace's outstretched hand, letting the young man help her from the cab they had taken to get to the NYPD precinct Luke was stationed at. They were going to take Luke's car but Jace had smashed it into a lamppost the previous night and Luke had to call for a repair service to take it. 

"The cards are in my desk," Luke says to the trio standing in front of him. "This shouldn't take long"

"Alright," Jace says, taking a step forward to follow Luke.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Luke places a hand out to stop Jace in his movements. "It'll be easier to avoid unnecessary attention if I do this alone" 

"We'll wait here Luke," Davina says and the man nods at her before heading inside.

"It sounded boring anyway" Jace huffs.

"Don't be childish Jace," Davina nudges the blonde playfully. 

"I've got a bad feeling about this. What is taking him so long?" Clary asks.

"I know a way we could find out. Just go in and see for ourselves"

"Luke told us to stay put, so that's what we're gonna do. That's probably him now" Clary says, answering her ringing phone.

"I doubt it," Jace says. "Just so I'm clear, he did mention something about trying to avoid attention, right? From the looks of it, he's doing a terrible job"

Davina looks up to see Luke, in handcuffs, being led away by two men. 

"Circle members?" Davina asks.

"No, mundanes. Internal affairs officers" Jace says.

"You can tell all that just by looking at them?" Davina asks.

"I can tell all that by reading their badges"

Jace shows Clary and Davina a rune on his arm.

"Better than binoculars. Luke had his chance" Jace says.

"Yeah"

"Let's go"

"Okay"

Jace quickly draws a rune on Clary as Davina closes her eyes, ripples appearing across her body before she becomes invisible to even Jace and Clary.

"Davina?" Jace asks. 

As a hand brushes his, he jumps slightly before allowing the hand to hold his. His grip on Davina's hand tightens as he feels a warm sensation spread through him. As the investigators begin to question Luke, the trio heads into the precinct. As soon as the investigators leave, the trio seizes the opportunity and enters the interrogation room. When the door opens, Luke spots Clary and Hace which leads to him grabbing a tissue before pretending to sneeze.

"Camera,"

Davina's eyes scan the room before she moves away from Jace and Clary. She stares at the camera as her eyes begin to glow the luminous green she was becoming accustomed to. Sparks begin to fly from the camera before it fizzles loudly, smoke wafting from the device. Davina then turns and becomes visible to the three other occupants of the room.

"Luke, what the hell happened?" Davina asks.

"I think I'm about to be the prime suspect in a murder investigation," Luke says.

"So what do we need to do?" Davina asks. 

"Get the cards," Luke replies. "They're in my desk, in the bottom drawer"

"Alright," Clary says as the trio begins to prepare to glamour themselves once again.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. You can't glamour yourselves. I'm not the only Downworlder on the force, and we don't know who's working for Valentine. If anybody spots you-"