9

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes?" Clary asks.

"Because we protect humans," Isabelle says.

"You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock" Clary says.

"Clary, enough!" Davina snaps. "It's not Isabelle's fault, she didn't know the vampires would have been there so stop whining and we can figure out how to get Simon back"

Isabelle shoots Davina a small, grateful smile as Clary frowns at Davina who had her face set in a firm glare. 

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense," Alec says.

"Alec, not now," Isabelle says.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it"

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone". What am I supposed to do now?" Clary says.

"We have to report to the Clave," Alec says and Davina looks at him unimpressed.

"Great"

"They have to know we've learned about Valentine," Alec says.

"What, that he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?" Clary asks.

"Clary, it's all connected. The vamps want the Cup." Jace says.

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters" Davina says.

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself," Alec says.

"Plus, it controls demons"

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup" Jace says.

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?" Clary sighs.

"So, this doesn't matter to you?" Alec asks.

"Yes, of course, it matters! Listen, when you saved Davina's life, I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in us. We can't turn into what you are overnight" Clary says.

"It's true. They were both raised as mundanes"

"What are you, their spokesman now?" Alec asks.

"I need a plan," Davina interrupts the impending bickering. "Not a spokesman. Now have you got a plan or not?"

"Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon? Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?" Clary asks.

"Actually, no. That was Camille's outfit, right? They're locals" Jace says.

"She wears an outfit so often that it's her identifier?" Davina asks. "That's kind of sad"

"They're at the Hotel DuMort, down in Gansevoort Street,"

"The creepy rundown hotel?"Davina asks and Isabelle nods. "I thought they were all junkies which is why they were all washed out and generally bleugh"

"And we came back here? Why? We have to go there. Let's go, now. Come on" Clary says.

"We need a Clave resolution for that"

"The five of us can't declare war on the vamps all by ourselves,"

"And we can't react without considering our options. Downworlders are slaves to their impulses. We're not" Alec says.

"Alec, you can't stomp on all the Downworlders," Isabelle says.

"Oh, that's right. Seelies have their charms, apparently" Alec says teasingly.

Davina's head lifts curiously at the word that kept popping up. Alec and Jace both look at Isabelle and she smiles.

"Seelies?" Clary asks.

"Like faeries. The Fair Folk. Add pixies, nixies, elves, anybody half-angel, half-demon. It's pretty much a catch-all term" Jace says.

"Izzy can tell you all about them. She's got a thing" Alec says.

"We've all got our things, don't we?" Isabelle asks.

"Okay, I can't listen to this. Simon's been kidnapped by vampires. I guess I'll just take care of it myself"

"Clary, you're gonna get yourself killed. Clary. Simon, too" Jace says.

Clary huffs turning back to face the group of four who hadn't moved. 

"There's got to be a rule against kidnapping a mundane right?" Davina asks. "So we can call it a rescue mission?"

"Davina's right. They made the first move. We're gonna take care of this ourselves, right now" Jace says.

"This is a bad idea. I-" Alec is cut off by Jace.

"What, have you got a better one? Look, the vamps broke the Accords. They kidnapped a Mundie. That's a big no-no. The Clave will give us a lecture and then they'll be glad we did it. Come on"

"Hard to argue with that" Isabelle says.

"Even if we went ahead, I don't see how we get out of here without having to explain where we're going. We need weapons, and we can't let anyone see us get them" Alec says.

"I know where to get what we need," Jace says.

The others leave and Davina stays behind, staring at the two people on the screen and a voice makes her jump.

"Why are you looking at Jackson Branwell and the Seelie Queen?" Alec asks.

"I-"

"I'm not going to tell anyone," Alec says. "Not if you don't want me to"

"They could be my birth parents," Davina says and Alec's eyebrows shoot up in surprise at the information.

"The Branwell's are Shadowhunter royalty," Alec says. "And if you're mother is the Seelie Queen-"

"I'm in a lot of danger,"