13

Davina stares at the wall in front of her emotionlessly, tears slipping from her eyes as she holds her knees to her chest. 

"Davina?"

Jace's voice followed by a knock on the door causes Davina's head to snap up.

"Um one second"

Davina rushes over to the mirror in the corner of her room before wiping her eyes quickly. Once she's satisfied the tear tracks have been removed, she opens the door to reveal Jace leaning against the doorframe. 

Jace looks at Davina's red puffy eyes and the glimmer of unshed tears that remained in her eyes. Davina shifts uncomfortably under Jace's scrutinous gaze and he clears his throat, averting his gaze. 

"I was wondering if you wanted to spar?" Jace asks.

"Sure, let me get changed," Davina says.

"Follow the corridor, last room on the left" Jace says.

Davina rifles through the piles of clothes Isabelle had donated to her before finding some clothes that she could pass off as clothes to work out in. 

"You ready?" Jace asks. "You need to keep your guard up no matter what, even if you're attacking. Fists up"

Davina holds her fists up and blocks Jace's first hit and throws a punch, jabbing him in the side.

"Nice" Jace says, throwing another punch which Davina blocks but Jace grabs her other hand and spins her close, and holds her back to his front.

"What didn't you do?" Jace asks, holding Davina flush to him.

"Keep my guard up" Davina's eyes were locked on Jace's as their faces were so close they could feel each other's breath on their lips. 

The door slams open, the noise causing the pair to jolt apart from each other. 

"Jace, I need to talk to you about something, it's really im-" Clary takes in the situation in front of her. "Oh- Sorry, I- I really should've knocked first"

"Let me just grab a shirt," Jace says.

"Yeah. Good idea" Clary says as Davina pulls on her hoodie.

"So, what's up? You wanted to see me?"

"Yeah, um... I need you to tell me everything you know about Magnus Bane" Clary says and Davina frowns.

"Magnus Bane is the High Warlock of Brooklyn-"

"Magnus is a Warlock?" Davina asks and Jace's head snaps to her.

"You know him?" Jace asks.

"Yeah, he used to look after me when I was younger," Davina says.

"Why do you ask?" Jace asks.

"Because that vampire, Camille, practically accused him of stealing my memories," Clary says.

"Where did you hear that?" Jace asks.

"When Simon told Camille someone took my memories back at the hotel DuMort, she blamed Magnus Bane," Clary says.

"Right, and you believe your little mundane friend?" Jace asks.

"I believe Simon. Besides, I keep having these dreams where this Magnus guy is with my mom and she tells him to protect me" Clary says.

"You mean, like, memory fragments?"

"Yeah, but... they're not making sense," Clary says.

"Whatever, why didn't you tell me about that?"