37

Clary unlocks the door to Isabelle's apartment before looking for said female. They find Isabelle in her room staring into her vanity mirror, the only item in the apartment that reminded Davina of the Isabelle she knew from herself and Clary's original dimension. 

"What's the emergency?" Clary asks.

Isabelle turns to reveal a purple bruise forming on her now slightly swollen eyes. The bruise was already turning darker on her face causing Davina to wince as she tilts Isabelle's face to the side to inspect the damage to the girl's face. 

"What did you do?" Davina asks. "It looks like you had a boxing match with Mike Tyson" 

"I decided to go to a kick boxing class on a whim, I thought we live in New York it would be useful knowledge to have in case I get mugged or something," Isabelle says. "I though a quick class after work wouldn't hurt but I was severely mistaken in my thought process. Then boom, home in time to see you guys"

"You definitely got the 'boom' part of that sentence right," Davina asks. "How hard did this person kick you Iz?"

"Andrea decided today was the day to perfect her roundhouse kick," Isabelle murmurs with a small huff. 

"It's okay Izzy," Davina says. "I can fix this, it's not that bad. But it will definitely be nearly black to tomorrow"

"I could just not go," Isabelle says. "People are going to judge me so hard, they're gonna think I've gotten into a street fight"

"Isabelle do you not trust my abilities?" Davina asks.

"Of course,"

"So stop panicking,"

Davina grabs her make up bad g and takes out her concealer and powder before beginning to work on Isabelle's bruise as a priority. She gently applies the concealer to the bruise before gently dabbing it with a damp sponge. 

"We need to fix you and Jace," Isabelle comments. "The two of you having this not talking stage is really messing with my chakra. I'm going to have to recharge my crystals and make moon water again"

"Are you sure those are the colors?" Isabelle asks.

"Stop doubting my abilities," Davina says, gently seeping the brush over Isabelle's face. 

"Okay, because if I don't show up to the party, your dad and Simon are so gonna kill me"

"So, um, do you think you could get a friend of mine on the guestlist for tonight?" Davina asks.

"Um, well, if you make this work, I'll do anything for you," Isabelle says.

"I have," Davina spins Isabelle around it her chair to show her the make up look she had done on the girl which consisted of a full face with soft gold eyeshadow. 

The Institute was buzzing with life as Davina takes in the Womderlandian theme. There were hues of blue, purple and green with weird screens that dressed you in outfits of the characters from the story. 

Davina places herself next to a table covered in teacups of a range of colours. Davina grabs one of the tea cups and takes a sip of whatever alcoholic concoction was in the cup. Her attention however is drawn from the slight burning sensation in her throat from the taste of some kind of whiskey when Jace approaches her.

"May I?"

"Jace. Hi. Um-"

"Davina, what's going on with you?" Jace asks.

"Nothing"

Davina is saved by Valentine which made her feel wildly uncomfortable as the version of the man from her dimension was a man dead set on genocide of downworlders and eradication of Shadowhunters who opposed him.

"So, this must be the Jace I've heard so much about. Davina has been hiding you from me even though she used to use Clary and us as her alibi for meeting you"

"Uh, yes, sir. Yeah"

"Sir is for my father. Call me Mr. Morgenstern"

"Okay. Um-"

A new song comes on and Jace squeezes Davina's hand, pulling her away from Valentine and leading her to the dance floor which was covered with couples swaying back and forth to the slow music that fills the building. 

"Tell me where your mind is," Jace says as he spins her under his arm.

"I'm just nervous about moving in with you, Simon and Clary," Davina says. "I've realized I don't know anything about an adult. What if a pipe bursts?"

"I'll fix it," Jace says.

"What if there's a big radioactive spider that bites one of us and we go insane?"

"You've watched too many movies with Simon" Jace laughs, dipping Davina down.

"What if-"

"No matter what happens," Jace says. "I'll be right next to you"

The borders of Davina's vision become blurry once again as she dances with Jace, her grip on her reality once again slipping from her grasp as she sways with Jace. Davina couldn't deny this life was idyllic, no threats on her life. There was no worry about hunting demons everyday, in this world she could be a regular young adult. Underage drinking with her friends, using fake IDs to get into clubs and just having fun and letting go of her worries.

Clary approaches Davina and pulls her away from Jace leading them to the edge of the dance floor. 

A man approaches the duo and Davina stares at him trying to figure out wheee she could place his face from. 

"Come on, let's go," The man says and Davina frowns.

"Who are you?" Davina asks.