24

"You know what? I'm gonna bring Alec with me next time. I don't think he's ever slapped me in the face" Jace says, glaring at Davina who rolls her eyes in response.

"It's a thing Clary and I have had planned for years in case we need a distraction or something," Davina says. "This is the first time it hasn't worked but that was down to variables beyond our control"

"We used to use it to shoplift," Clary says, scratching her neck.

"You two have layers," Jace says, slightly surprised. "Damn"

The sound of hurried footsteps causes the trio to turn to see the two final parts of their small team, Alec and Isabelle, running over to them.

"Someone called for backup?" Isabelle asks.

"Yeah. What took you guys so long?" Jace asks.

"Funny, I was gonna ask you the same thing," Alec says.

"It's complicated,"

"We found the Cup," Clary says.

"The Cup?" Alec's voice was full of unconcealed shock at Clary's words.

"But then due to some internal affairs investigation, they're in the evidence locker," Davina adds the bad news to Clary's story. "Which means we now have to sneak back into the precinct to get them"

"This is a disaster," Alec sighs. 

"Hey, losing a Dolce and Gabbana bag whilst stoned is a disaster," Davina says and gets a hum of agreement from Isabelle. "This is merely an inconvenience. All we need is a plan"

"What about glamour?"

"We tried that. Anyone working with Valentine will see right through it" Jace says.

"Luk also said he's not the only Downworlder on the force," Davina says. "I can glamour from everyone, even Downworlders, I could go in-"

"No," Alec and Jace say in union causing Davina to raise her hands in surrender.

"Just pitching an idea," 

"Can we ask Magnus Bane to portal us inside?" Clary asks.

"No"

"That'd be awkward. Magnus can only portal us to places he's been to before" Isabelle says.

Clary's cell phone rings and she looks at the contact name before walking a few steps away.

"Not again. Just give me a second. Simon, this is really not a good time" Clary says. "Simon, are you okay? Simon, seriously, what's going on? Simon, remember that time you thought you had the bird flu? Okay, just stay off the internet and you'll be fine"

Jace grabs Clary's phone from her hands, ending the call as Clary protests his actions.

"Simon's little problem can wait. I've got a great plan" Jace says

"Oh, there's a first," Davina says.

"Just follow my lead," Jace says. "Oh, and don't worry, in my plan, no one gets slapped"

"No need to be salty Jace," Davina says. "I'm sure you've pissed off more than enough women in your life"

The trio enters the building once again, under a glamour and hoping they can spot the Downworlders before they spot them.

"So, I was promised a great plan," Davina says

"We'll head up towards the vault. Alec and Izzy are handling the rest. All we have to do is wait for their signal and grab the Cup" Jace says.