31

Davina closes her eyes as Clary and Raphael stare at her, her entire body beginning to glow green as her head snaps back, her eyes falling closed. She snaps open her eyes and a gasp erupts from her mouth as she blinks. The glow fades and her body begins to collapse. Before she could fall to the ground, Raphael catches her in his arms. 

"He's at his house," Davina whispers. "Clary, go"

Clary turns on her heel and sprints down the street as Raphael holds Davina close.

"Thank you," Davina whispers. "You are truly one of a kind Raphael"

Raphael offers Davina a small smile as her eyes close, the exhaustion overtaking her as she falls asleep in the vampire's comforting embrace. 

Davina's eyes flutter open as the sound of Raphael talking on a phone, which she recognizes as her own, fills her ears.

"I have not harmed a hair on her head, Wayland," Raphael huffs, clearly tired of the conversation he was having. "She is resting. Her body is not used to the power she wields, it exhausts her easily"

Davina pushes herself up, the movement distracting Raphael from his conversation and he is at her side in an instant. He places his hand on her face, turning her head to the side.

"Wayland, we may have an issue," Raphael says, his eyes staring at Davina's face. "The marking on her arm has grown"

"What does that mean?" Davina asks. 

"It means that you're becoming more powerful," Raphael says, sitting on the edge of the four-poster bed next to Davina. "Which means-"

"The target on my back is increasing as well," Davina sighs and Raphael nods. 

The vampire presses the mute button on the phone before taking Davina's warm hands into his cold ones.

"Davina, you must be careful," Raphael says, his voice imploring. "You will be the turning point in this war and anyone will be willing to exploit that. Even the Clave"

"So how do I know I can trust you?" Davina asks. 

"I helped Magnus and Dorothea care for you when you were a mere child," Raphael says. "You could never pronounce m name so I became Raph and Magnus was Maggy. You hold a special place in my heart Davina, never question my loyalty to yourself and Magnus"

Davina nods, a small smile on her face as Raphael places a soft kiss on her forehead. Davina grabs her phone and unmutes the call between her and Jace. 

"Jace?" 

"I need you to draw the rune I just sent you," Jace's speech is rushed.

Davina opens the image Jace had sent her and pulls her stele out of her boot. She begins to trace the rune onto her hip, wincing as the familiar searing sensation appears on her body. 

"What does it do?" Davina asks. 

"Have you drawn it?" Jace asks.

"Yes," Davina frowns. "Jace, what's going on?"

"It's a blocking rune," Jace avoids Davina's question. "It prevents anyone from finding you using Shadowhunter tracking methods"

"Jace, what is going on?"

"The Clave heard you or Clary has the cup," Jace says. "They think you're working with Valentine"

"Is the cup safe?" Davina asks.

"It will be," Jace says before lowering his voice to a whisper. "You need to stay in the Hotel with Raphael, the Clave would never think to look for you there"

"I'll call Clary," Davina says. "Get her to come here, you need to get the cup Jace"

"I will," Jace says. "Be careful"

"You too"

Davina hangs up the call before calling Clary's phone. 

"Davina what is going on?" Clary asks as soon as she picks up.

"You need to get to the DuMort now," Davina's reply is short. "I'll explain everything when you get here. But you need to hurry. It's not safe for you to be out of hiding right now"

"Hiding?"

"The Clave know we found the cup," Davina rushes out. "You need to get here"

 "You need to get here"