29

Davina and Jace rush from Simon's house in a hurry after receiving a phone call from Luke about an attack on the restaurant that Luke's pack owned. Davina had hailed a cab and used her powers to make the driver take them there for free as neither she nor Jace had cash on them.

The restaurant was a mess. Shattered glass covered the floor and tables had been broken. 

"Luke, are you okay?"

"What happened?"

"Uh, you should see the other guy. We were attacked by a Forsaken if you can even call it that. Anyway, it's dead. It looks worse than it was"

"Luke, you're hurt"

"Uh, no. Already healed. Perks of being a werewolf. Anyway, I called Alec. He took the Forsaken back to the Institute for an autopsy"

"We've got the best forensic pathologist in New York"

"Yeah, so I've heard. Davina, what are you doing here? Now that you have the Cup, you know you should be back at the Institute, protected"

He glances at Jace.

"I haven't taken my eyes off her"

"I needed to see you. Luke, it's Simon. He's, um, Luke, he's dead"

"Oh, God. I'm sorry."

He holds Davina while she sniffles quietly.

Jace is standing guard outside. Davina is sitting in a booth with Luke.

"How's Clary taking it?"

"As well as she could I guess," Davina says, nursing the mug of green tea she had been given. "Luke, what do we do? If we bring Simon back, then-"

"He'll be a vampire. A Downworlder"

"It wasn't easy going from a revered Shadowhunter to a werewolf. Suddenly, I was foraging for food, unable to control my own body. I lost my family, my friends"

"But not Jocelyn," Davina says.

"No. Jocelyn never abandoned me. Having Clary and Jocelyn, then you, in my life kept me from using this"

Luke looks at the dagger. Davina takes his hand.

"Knowing that Jocelyn, Clary and you needed me"

"I will never stop needing you," Davina says.

"Davina, you know I love Simon like a son. If you decide to bring him back, just know that his journey won't be easy. So make sure you do it for him, and not yourself"

"It won't be up to me," Davina says. "Clary's set on bringing Simon back"

Raphael, Jace, and Clary are with Simon's body.

"The sun is setting. Have you decided?"

Raphael is carrying a shovel, Clary something of Simon's, and Jace Simon himself. Davina was walking quietly alongside Raphael. Jace lays Simon on the grass. There is rustling. Jace grabs his blade. Camille appears and she smirks.

"What do you want?" Clary asks.

"I want my property back"

"Simon is not your property," Davina says.

"If you'll just hand him over, I'll be on my way"

"You heard Davina. You're not laying a hand on him"

"Fine. I tried to do this the nice way"

Camille snaps with her fingers and a bunch of other vampires appear.

"I'm glad you brought everyone here to witness your demise. Camille killed this mundane. Now, I have all the proof. She's been breaking the Accords for too long now. He's the evidence we need to show the Clave what Camille has been doing"

"Are you trying to overthrow me?"

"No. I already have"

The vampires surround Camille and she looks around in slight shock.

"Don't listen to him. Raphael doesn't know the first thing about leading. You need me. I've given you everything you could want. All the riches. All the pleasures you could desire" Camille says.

"By breaking the law. Which will only destroy us" Raphael says.

"We can fix this. If we just get rid of the body, this mundane means nothing" Camille says.

"'Means nothing?' Over my dead body," Davina says.

Davina punches Camille harshly in the face. She walks away and the vampires surround Camille even closer.

"Clary, it's time. Which will it be?"

"Dee?"

"You know my views on this Clary" Davina says. "This is on you. You bring Simon back and you face whatever fury he will have"

Raphael holds up a shovel in one hand and a sharp piece of wood in the other. Clary takes the shovel and starts digging.

Simon has a piece of Jewish clothing on.

"When your grandfather gave you this at your bar mitzvah, you, um, you told me how much it meant to you. It was a symbol of the day you became a man. Simon, Simon, no matter what happens no matter what you become you will always be that man to me" Clary says as Davina places a picture of herself, Simon, and Clary in Simon's hand.

Davina stands up and Jace holds her, while Raphael puts Simon in the grave. Davina grabs a shovel full of dirt, but she can't do it. Jace pulls her away from the shovel, and holds her close before takes over. Raphael gently wraps an arm around Davina as Jace covers Simon with dirt.

Jace and Davina are sitting by Simon's grave, Clary was sat on the other side in silence.

"That mundane's a fighter. He survived the vampires at the Hotel DuMort. He survived the werewolves at Jade Wolf. He survived accounting, for whatever that's worth"

"He is a fighter, isn't he? Look, I know you think emotions cloud judgment, and that whole falcon story, I- I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around that, but all of that contradicts the second rule of being mundane" Davina says.

"What's the second rule of being mundane?"

"It's that love makes you stronger. It was my mother's love for me that made her lose her life to keep me safe from Valentine. It's love that makes you fight harder for what you want"

The ground starts rumbling. Raphael arrives with a bag.

"It's happening"

Simon's hand comes out of the ground. Simon climbs out of the earth. From the bag, Raphael takes some bags with blood.

"Simon. Simon, it's me. It's... it's Clary"

Simon hisses and Clary screams. Jace holds Davina protectively as Clary moves away.

"Once reborn, you emerge hungry"

Raphael throws a bag with blood on the ground; Simon immediately starts drinking it. Raphael throws another bag.

"Very hungry. Drink up"

 Drink up"