12

The roof of the Hotel DuMort gave a breathtaking view of the concrete jungle that was Brooklyn. Skyscrapers stand tall and proud in the faint rays of the sunrise as people hustle and bustle through the street, unaware of the world that blended with their own. 

"You seem to be immune to Encanto," Jace says as he draws a rune onto Davina's shoulder. "So this rune is for silence. It won't give us much of an advantage as we can't hide the scent of our blood from them. As soon as we enter the building, they'll know something's up. But if our plan works, enough of them should be distracted and we should have enough time to find Simon. The mundane world is all into vampires. They view people as animated sacks of meat"

"Jasper Cullen," Is all Davina says in response to Jace's statement. 

"Who is that? He's not on any records I've ever seen-"

"He's a character in a book series that turned into a movie franchise," Davina says. "I think the attraction is the mystery. The risk. Or the very cliche I can change him"

"You have to hand it to them, they know how to frame a narrative,"

"How will we know where to look for Simon?"

"They'll have him in the most secure room of the building,"

"But the Encanto won't turn him into a vampire, right?"

"No, you have to drink vampire blood for that. Even then, there's more to it. It's an overly involved process if you ask me"

"What happens if he's bitten?"

"They won't drain him right away. They like to take their time. Vampires are real gourmets"

"Simon's terrified of mosquitos," Davina raises an eyebrow. "We're going to find an anxious wreck"

"Is he not an anxious wreck all the time?" Jace asks. "Trying to hide his pining for Clary?"

"He doesn't hide it," Davina says. "Clary's blind"

"Besides he won't be anxious. He'll feel like he's high, kind of like he's in love,"

"Is it a good high?" Davina asks.

"Why?" Jace looks at Davina who had a look of revelation on her face. "No"

"I didn't say anything!" Davina says. "So is it a nice feeling or-"

"I wouldn't know"

"You've never been bitten?" Davina glances at Jace who gives her a pointed look.  "You've never been in love"

"So how come you became friends with someone so-"

"Hey, I can insult Simon but if you do it I will have to throw you off this roof," Davina points a warning finger at Jace. 

"Different from you?" Jace asks. "You're confident, and outgoing and he's well a dork"

"I'd die for either of them," Davina says. 

"Would they do the same for you?" Is Jace's rebuttal and Davina falls silent. 

"The sun is almost up," Davina looks to where the rays were more harshly lighting up Brooklyn. "Let's go"

"Hey, I didn't mean anything b-"

"It's fine Jace," Davina raises her palm to indicate to him to stop talking.  

Davina opens the door and the feeling from the bar washes over her again. Cold, bitter. Death. Davina could feel the death inside the building and she closes the door again. 

"Davina, what are you doing?" 

"I can feel it," Davina whispers. "Their souls are screaming. I can't do this"