8

As they climbed out of the van, Davina felt a chill run through her body. The air seemed colder than normal, and she pulled her leather jacket closer to her body.

"Yeah, this place isn't creepy. Not at all" Simon mutters.

"Don't tell me you're afraid," Isabelle teases.

"Are you kidding me? I was born afraid which sounded a lot better in my head" Simon says.

"Let's check it out"

"Wait here a minute. I wanna see if it's safe" Jace says to Davina. "You too Clary"

Clary, Davina and Simon stay behind as the three Shadowhunters walk forward, weapons at the ready.

"I just wish my mom had trusted me enough to tell me about all this. " Davina asks as Clary stares at her phone.

"How are you not ultra freaked out by all of this?" Clary asks. 

"I guess I just always felt like something was missing since I found out. Some void I couldn't quite explain. Things are finally starting to make sense. But none of it's gonna matter unless I get my mom back" Davina says. "Both of our moms"

"Then let's do that," Simon says.

"Davina, Clary. Come on, it's all clear" Jace calls.

"Let's go"

"I can do this" Clary says after having a conversation with Jace.

"Yeah, you can. You're Clary freakin' Fray. You can do anything"

"All right, hold up," Jace says after Simon steps forward.

"Surprise, surprise. No mundanes allowed, just like in the training room, right? Wrong! I've seen every horror movie ever made and the funny best friend who gets left behind dead man" Simon says.

"You're not that funny. But by all means, go ahead. Of course, the minute you enter, you'll die" Jace says.

"Problem is, now I don't trust you," Simon says.

"He's not lying," Alec says.

"Now. He was before," Isabelle says.

"The rune energy in the City of Bones will kill any mundane who dares to enter, so, please-"

"The Brothers creep me out. I'll mind the mundane" Isabelle says.

"Your sacrifice is noted, Izzy," Jace says.

"Talk about sacrifice. I'm missing a financial analysis class" Simon says.

"I can't be here anymore, so, Jace, I'm gonna mind the perimeter. I'll take Davina" Alec says. "She's the only one that doesn't make me want to poke my own eyes out"

"Thanks, I think," Davina says and she and Alec walk away.

Alec stands next to Davina and she looks at him. His face was resting in a frown as his eyes flit around looking for any possible sign of a threat.

"Why are you so-" Davina pauses, searching for the way she could speak her mind without offending Alec. "Uptight?"

"I guess it was how I was raised" Alec shrugs. "Shadowhunters are raised very differently to mundanes"

"I think I prefer the mundane way," Davina says.

"What's it like?" Alec asks.

"It's your future to control as a mundane" Davina says. "Whatever you want to be, it's up to you"

"It sounds nice," Alec says, almost wistfully. 

"You can still take that for ourself, despite your upbringing," Davina's voice is soft. "If not, you're going to have wrinkles by the time you're 25"

Clary and Jace exiting the City of Bones drew their attention away from the conversation. Blood was trickling down Clary's forehead and she had tears pouring down her cheeks. 

"What happened? What did you find out?" Alec asks.

"Valentine is Clary's father," Jace says and Davina gapes at her friend.

"Wait a minute. You're telling me these girls show up out of nowhere and that one's Valentine's daughter? Did it occur to you that she might be a spy? This might be part of her plan?"

"That's enough, Alec"

"Do you think I planned for my mom to get kidnapped? Or- or for Davina's mom to be taken? Or to have a giant sword dangle over my head and find out that my father is one of the most dangerous people in the world? Really?"

"Where's Simon?" Davina asks Isabelle.

"I told him to stay in the van. I've searched everywhere"

"He's gone?" Clary asks.

"I can't find him," Isabelle says.

"You were supposed to protect him! Simon!"

The door to the van was wide open and Simon was nowhere to be seen causing Davina to rub her hand over her face. 

"Simon? No. Simon!"

"Simon?" Davina calls.

"Is that the mundane's name?"

Everyone turns around and they see a man and a woman standing on the bridge. The man was holding Simon by his feet, hanging him over the edge of the bridge causing Davina to place a shaky hand to her mouth. 

"I'm afraid Simon's coming with us"

"Let him go!" Davina shouts. "Before I come up there and remove your head from your shoulders"

"And it'll be my pleasure to help her kill you unless you return him" Jace calls.

"Careful. We'd be violating the Accords" Alec says.

"I'm afraid your sidekick's quite right. The Night Children have broken no laws. We're negotiating. The mundane, unharmed, in exchange for the Mortal Cup. And the clock is ticking. Tick-tock, people"

"Clary!"

"Simon... no!"

The vampires disappear with Simon and Davina stares at the empty spot in shock.