15

"What are you doing?" Davina asks Clary and Jace who were heading to join the line. 

"Queuing to get in?"

Davina snorts at the pair of them before walking up to the bouncer as Alec and Isabelle join the duo in the queue.

"What's Davina doing?" Alec asks. 

"I have no idea," Jace replies.

Davina walks over to the quartet in the queue and lifts the rope. The group of four stare at her and she rolls her eyes.

"Do I have to spell it out for you?" Davina asks. "Come on"

The four duck under the rope and Davina walks over to the bouncer, placing her hand on his arm. 

"Thank you Elias," Davina grins at the bouncer. 

"Well Magnus would have my head if he found out I let you queue," 

"He's got you trained well," 

Davina walks past the bouncer and into the rave. The music was pulsating as hundreds of Downworlders move to the beat, throwing back drinks and letting loose for a night. 

Davina's eyes scan the rave for an area that looked decked out for a VIP and there she lays her eyes on one of her favourite people. 

"Davina!"

Jace's shout falls on deaf ears as Davina weaves through the crowd before running over to the area and jumping the rope. Magnus shoots to his feet and his arms spread wide, wrapping Davina in his embrace, lifting her from the floor and spinning her slightly. 

"Strawberry, good to see you!"

"Magnus, this is-"

"Clary Fairchild. You've grown into a beautiful young woman"

"Magnus Bane. So you're the one who stole my memories" Clary says.

"At your mother's request. She knew the risk. Show me the jewellery, Shadowhunter," Magnus says.

Jace drops the necklace from where it was clutched in his palm and Magnus reaches out for the jewellery. Jace yanks the necklace back, shaking his head. 

"Ooh- Give Clary back her memories, and you get the jewellery," Jace says.

"I have to confirm its authenticity," Magnus says.

Davina takes the necklace from Jace's hand and passes it to Magnus who lifts it to his eye line, examining the jewel. 

"'Amor verus numquam moritur'. True love cannot die. Oh, how I've missed this jewel" Magnus says before tucking the necklace into his pocket.

"Now, it's your turn to pay up," Clary says.

"I wish I could retrieve your memories, but I no longer have them," Magnus says.

"What? Where are they?" Clary asks.

"I fed them to a memory demon for safe keeping," Magnus says.

"And why the hell would you do that?"

"To protect Clary and the Cup. If Valentine ever captured me, he could torture Clary's memories out of me. Just like he tortured Dot"

"Tortured? Wait, is my mom okay?" Davina asks.

Magnus' face was all the confirmation Davina needed and she stumbles back slightly, a hole having been punched into her chest. Magnus is quick to act, holding the girl close as he continues his conversation with the others. 

"What? How do you know?" Clary asks.

"I can't feel her magic anymore. Valentine killed her because she would not betray your mother"