32

Raphael and Davina stand in front of the Hotel DuMort as Clary, Simon and Luke approach them. 

"I still think this plan is insane," Raphael mutters to Davina.

"If you can think of anything better, I'm all ears," Davina replies, raising an eyebrow. "Look, you promised your loyalty to me Raphael, this will only be a temporary fix until we can figure out our next move"

Raphael looks to Davina who's eyes were staring him into his soul, reminding him of the curious child who used to cling to his back like a koala as he would run around Magnus' apartment. 

"Fine," Raphael says. "But the mutt stays downstairs, having Clary in here is enough to rile the vampires up. Let alone the scent of dog filling the place"

"If anything happens to these three, you won't have to wait till sun up, I'll kill you myself," Luke says.

"Easy there, Fido. Davina has my sworn protection," Raphael says. "Which means by extension so do these two"

As Raphael leads the trio into the hotel, he leads them upstairs into the room where Davina had been staying whilst she was resting. Clary and Simon step forward in order to examine a painting which is on display in the room. Clary and Simon are enclosed in a small space when Raphael presses a small red button, causing a golden fence to come down, closing them in.

"So this is your idea of protection?"

"It keeps you away from my people, and my people away from you. Give me a shout when you're hungry. Of course, you do have a pretty decent snack right here, no? Oh, silly me. I forgot- you two are such great friends. Or has that changed? Davina, follow me"

Davina follows Raphael as her eyes take in the items of beauty in the dilapidated hotel. Her eyes were wide with curiosity as she tries to ignore the overwhelming feeling of death surrounding her.

 Her eyes were wide with curiosity as she tries to ignore the overwhelming feeling of death surrounding her

"You can sense it can't you?" Raphael asks. "Us? What does it feel like?"

"Cold but not entirely dead," Davina says. "I can hear souls crying for help. I think they must be fledglings who never emerged. They're in pain."

Davina admires the display of antiquities in the room Rapahel had led her to. Golden gilded vases to antique knives adorn the room.

"My mom would have adored some of these" Davina says.

"I was sorry to hear about her passing," Raphael says, making the sign of the cross on his chest.  "Dorothea was one of a kind. She was a kind soul who lit up every room"

"She really was," Davina's smile was melancholy as she thinks about her mom. "And because of that, she sacrificed herself for her friend"

"And yet you still live among the Shadowhunters," Raphael says. "Despite what they have cost you"

"They're my people I guess," Davina says.

"So are the Downworlders-"

"RAPHAEL!"