17

Davina turns the pages of her sketchbook, runes and demons filling her page. She had always assumed she just had an inventive mind when in reality everything she had drawn was true and her entire life was a lie. A knock on the door snaps her from her line of thought. She looks up to see Jace standing in the doorway, looking completely unaffected by a demon trying to snatch him away. 

"How are you feeling?" Jace asks.

"Tired," The redhead sighs. 

"Can I come in?"

"If you must," Davina sighs dramatically, pulling her legs up so Jace can sit on the bed. 

"You were brave facing that demon," Jace says. "You must have had one hell of an instructor. Extremely handsome"

"He's okay I guess. Passable looking" Davina says and Jace chuckles.

"Okay ouch,"

"The weirdest thing is, the scream it was an instinct," Davina says, placing her sketchbook down. "It felt right. Everything went quiet for a minute"

"What do you mean quiet?" Jace asks. 

"Ever since I was young, I always swore I could feel death," Davina says. "I used to know when someone was going to die and there were the voices. Whispers. When I was talking to the demon, they came back-"

"You spoke to Valak?"

"Yeah, good looking man, sharp suit," Davina waves a hand. 

"What did he say?"

"I don't remember," The lie fell easily from Davina's lips as the vision flashed through her head of her as an angel of death to all. "I just remember screaming"

"Either way," Jace starts, placing his hand on Davina's knee. "You killed a greater demon. There's not a lot of Shadowhunters who can make that claim"

"But I lost any chance of finding Jocelyn," Davina says. "And now, my mom, she died for nothing. We're never going to find Jocelyn"

"We will," Jace says. "We just need to do it safely"

"I don't want to be safe: I want to save Clary's mom as mine died for helping Jocelyn and I'm not letting her sacrifice be for nothing so either help me or you stay out of my way"

"You have potential Davina," Jace says. "I think you may even be able to win against me soon. Get some sleep, we'll talk in the morning"

"Good night Jace," Davina says.

"Davina"

Davina was in what looked like a rundown lab that was being used for experiments anyway. There were vials of luminescent green liquid that looked toxic to ingest, there were used needles scattered across the floor and corpses covered in green veins, foam around their mouths. 

"I know you can hear me, Davina"

A man steps into the light and Davina stares at him, the echoes in her head revealing who he was instantly.

"We've not been formally introduced. My name is-"

"Valentine," Davina says.

"I'm sorry about that nasty business with your mother but I will do anything to get what I want, even kill and manipulate the innocent"

"Davina-" 

Davina turns to see Dot in Valentine's grip, a blade held to her throat. Valentine smirks at Davina before yanking the blade harshly. Blood sprays across Davina's face as Dot gurgles, blood pouring from her throat and from her mouth.