33

The unlikely group of werewolves, vampires, Shadowhunters and a Seelie Princess tribrid come to a stop. 

"This does not look like the City of Bones," Clary says.

"This is the Downworlders' entrance,"

"I hope I have better luck here than I did last time. I'm just saying" Simon says when Raphael stares at him.

"Everyone knows what to do?"

"Text when you're in position," Jace says and receives nods in return.

Luke starts walking away and Raphael whistles as one would do to call a dog back. Davina exhales loudly, pinching the bridge of her nose. 

"Stay"

Luke stops walking as Raphael taunts him.

"Good dog"

"Bite me"

"Rollover"

"Play dead"

"Boom!" Simon says.

Luke and Simon give each other a fist bump, wide grins on their faces. They continue walking and a werewolf bumps into Simon, causing him to stumble at the force.

The reaction is immediate as the vampires go on the defensive, hissing at the werewolves who react instantly with growling

"ENOUGH!" Davina shouts.

The werewolf who shoved Simon flashes his eyes at her and Davina takes a step forward, ready to challenge him. Jace is quick to react, pulling Davina back as she glares at the wolf.

"I'm just going to have some civil words with him,"

"Funnily enough, I don't believe you," Jace says.

"Hey, enough! Enough! All our lives are at stake! It's time we put aside our differences and work together! Tonight we're all Downworlders. Luke? Raphael?" Clary looks at the two leaders.

Raphael gives a quick nod and Luke does the same.

"You," Davina points at the werewolf who had bumped Simon. "You pull anything like that again, I'll knock your teeth from your skull"

They continue walking before Simon speaks up from his position between Clary and Davina.

"I guess I should expect people to hate me for who I am now. I'll get used to it" Simon says.

"Never get used to it. Do you hear me? Either of you"

"Let's do this," Isabelle says.

Clary, Simon and Isabelle join the rest of their allies as Jace and Davina linger behinds the rest.

"Jace, you don't have to do this," Davina says. "Going against the Clave, against the other Shadowhunters-"

"Valentine's trying to destroy the world, Davina. We're trying to protect it. Before I forget, these belong to you and Clary"

Jace hands Davina the ace of cups tarot card and Clary's shard necklace. Davina places them in her jacket pocket, zipping it tightly.

"Alec didn't give you these did he?" Davina asks.

"Let's just say this is where they're safest. Be careful"

"Thank you,"

"Thank me if we make it out of this alive"

"When we make it out," Davina says.

"Right," Jace says unconvincingly.

"Comforting"

"Come here," Jace says, sweeping Davina's hair out of the way.

Jace draws a rune on Davina and she winces. Suddenly, Davina has enhanced vision enabling her to look into the distance; she sees Alec, an unfamiliar blonde woman, Meliorn, and a bunch of guards, and her eyes widen.

"Alec? What's he doing here?" Davina says.

Jace activates the rune he has just drawn on Davina for himself and curses under his breath.

"Lydia must have sent him"

"Lydia?"

"Alec's future wife. Your half-sister. Don't ask" Jace says.

"Just say the word, and we'll call the whole thing off," Davina says.

"No, there's no turning back now. So whatever happens, follow my lead" Jace says and Davina nods.

Jace and Davina follow Alec and Meliorn as the former draws a rune on a pillar, causing the entrance to the city of bones to reveal itself. 

"Alec," Davina steps out of the shadows, causing Alec to turn and face her. "You can still do the right thing"

Alec's slight distraction allowed Jace to step between Alec and the entrance to the City of Bones. Alec turns at the noise and spots Jace, blocking his way. Anger fills Alec's face along with a hint of betrayal.

"You told me you were taking Davina and Clary back to the Institute. You lied to me" 

"I did what needed to be done," Jace replies.

"Alec, you know this isn't right," Davina's voice was begging. "Please see sense and let Meliorn go"

"I have my orders"

"And I have my duties," Davina says. "I have to protect my people"

"The Shadowhunters are your people,"

"So are the Downworlders," Davina says. "I have to protect them because it's clear no one else will"

"I have my orders" Alec repeats.

"You an your orders!" Davina snaps. "Who cares about orders?"

"See? That's how little you know about being a Shadowhunter. You couldn't possibly understand-"

"It's you that doesn't understand, Alec," Jace interrupts Alec's tirade. "Not this time. I'm really sorry,"

Jace runs forward and tackles Alec to the ground, the pair beginning to struggle with one another. 

"Vee, Meliorn, go, now!"

Meliorn runs over to Davina who places her hand on his handcuffs, the material dissolving under her hands. The pair then cast one last look at the fighting parabatis before turning the corner.

"Vee!"

Davina stops when she meets up with Clary.

"Where's Jace?"

"Fighting with Alec," Davina says. "We need to go"

 "We need to go"