39

Michael Wayland climbs out of the locker, cautiously approaching Jace as one would a scared animal. 

"Dad?" Jace's voice cracks as he stares at his father. 

"Son"

The father and son embrace in a tight hug, but Davina eyes the older man suspiciously. It was awfully convenient to Davina that Valentine wasn't here and then Jace's murdered father appears. But she kept her suspicions to herself, however she knew she'd be keeping a close eye on Michael Wayland. 

"Jace, I can't believe it," Michael's voice was full of false disbelief before his eyes move to Davina. "Your friend is hurt"

Jace turns to Davina who was swaying on her feet slightly, all colour drained from her face as blood continues to stain her clothing. 

"We'll talk later Jace," Michael says. "We need to help your friend first"

Davina's legs give way as she feels her body progressively getting weaker. Michael is quick to react, catching her as she leans against him for supportive. 

"It's ravener venom, she was adamant we continued in attempting to find Valentine," Clary says. 

"Jace where's your stele?" Michael asks his son before beginning to rifle through his son's pockets.

Michael's actions freeze when he comes across the Ace of Cups card that contained the Cup. He stares at it, his eyes mesmerised. Clary is quick to react, taking the cup from Michael's hand, eyeing the man suspiciously.  

"Back pocket," Clary's voice was cold and untrusting as she stares at Michael.

Michael nods clearly uncomfortable under Clary's scrutinising gaze. The man grabs the stele from Jace before turning to Davina who was on the verge of unconsciousness, leaning against Jace who was her only form of support at that rate. Michael begins to trace the rune which only temporarily changes colour and seems to have no effect on Davina.

"What's wrong?" Clary asks.

"The rune is weak," Michael replies. "The venom must be spreading, we don't have long before it reaches her heart. Valentine has a standing portal that allows us to go anywhere, one of the many warlocks he interrogated to wake Jocelyn made this as a deal for survival"

"Let me guess, he didn't live?" Clary asks and Michael shakes his head. 

Clary looks down at her hands which were stained a deep crimson red, matching the colour of Davina's clothes as the young woman's eyes roll back, her body twitching slightly. Michael lifts Davina up, the females eyes fluttering as her eyes remain rolled back.

Clary keeps a hold of Michael and Jace as they enter the portal, landing outside the Jade Wolf restaurant. 

"We need help!" Clary shouts. "Luke!" 

Luke comes running out of the restaurant, his eyes taking in the scene before him. A shadowhunter he knew was dead, holding up Davina who looked to be on the verge of death.

"Clary, what happened?" Luke asks, taking Davina from Michael's arms before heading towards the restaurant laying Davina in a booth as her twitches become violent, almost seizure like in the sharp jolts as her muscles tense up. 

"What happened?" Luke asks, examining the wound on Davina's neck.

"Ravener," Clary's answer is rushed, the panic clear in her voice. "She losing blood and what's still in her body is contaminated. Michael said it won't be long before it reaches her heart"

"We could go to the DuMort," Simon suggests. "We all know Raphael has a soft spot for Davina"

"Okay, Simon, call him," Luke says. "Explain what's going on and tell him we're on our way. We'll use your van, it'll shield you from the sunlight"

Jace lifts Davina into his arms as he climbs into the back of the van. He holds Davina close to him as Simon keeps pressure on the wound, his worry for Davina overpowering any vampiric urges.  

"I thought you were dead. There were rumors that-" Luke trails off and michaels takes that as his cue to speak.

"Everybody thought they were true. He tried to kill me, but I survived the attack. I've been a prisoner ever since. I never thought I'd see him again. How did you survive what he did to you?"

"Jocelyn pulled me through. You were there. Did he hurt her?"

"No, and he won't. We both know that. He'll never stop loving Jocelyn, even if he wanted to. She'll be safe," 

"Our main priority right now is Davina," Jace says. "She's the one we can help, once she's received the help she needs. We'll go back to finding Jocelyn"

 We'll go back to finding Jocelyn"