26

Davina's head was swarming as she could feel the presence of the demons surrounding her. The feeling was overwhelming causing her to stop, placing her hand on the wall for support.

"Vina, come on we need to keep moving,"

"It's okay. We can take a breather," Jace says. "Why don't you and Clary scout ahead?"

The pair nod before disappearing around the corner as Jace turns to Davina, his face painted in concern.

"You okay?" 

"I can sense them," Davina whispers. "It's too much"

"Hey," Jace cups Davina's face in his hands, staring into her eyes. "If anyone is strong enough for this it's you"

"I'm sorry for all the trouble I've put you through," Davina says.

"You don't have to apologize to me"

"Unfortunately, you can't stop me" Davina shrugs.

"Well, yeah, I'm starting to see that," Jace says.

"I've been so focused on making sure my mom's sacrifice wasn;t for nothing," Davina begins. "I don't think I realised how much you've done for me"

"Davina, I'm a Shadowhunter. It's kinda my job"

"Oh, you'd do this for anybody?" Davina asks.

"Maybe not Simon"

"Funny," Davina replies humorously. "I think the sentiment is shared"

"You know, you're not too bad yourself," Jace says. "You kicked some pretty serious ass back at the police station. At least, you got my ass kicked"

Isabelle and Clary return, Isabelle's necklace pulsing more rapidly. A sign that there are possibly hordes of demons heading their way.

"Izzy, where is it?"

"I don't know. It's like they're right here, but I don't see them"

A clattering from above sounds out as a big scorpion like creature leaps down from the pipes and lands on Jace, scratching and clawing at the blonde. Jace quickly removes the demon's grip on his, swiftly killing the creature.

"Are you hurt?" Davina asks.

"I'll live"

"What are those things?" Clary asks and Jace turns to her to answer her question.

"Shax demons. They're like the bloodhounds of the Shadow World"

"They've been tracking us," Isabelle says.

"On who's orders?" Davina asks.

"The Institute's only a couple of blocks from here. Now, we can't lose them, but they won't be able to track us if we split up"

"But, I don't... I don't-"

"Clary, you need to go with Jace and Isabelle," Davina says. "I'll draw them away"

"Dav-"

"Clary go!" Davina snaps.

Clary nods turning away from Davina who calls after Isabelle and Jace

"Keep her safe. For me"

Davina watches as Clary, Jace and Isabelle sprint away. The redhead grabs her seraph blade before making a cut in her head, watching as the droplets splash onto the floor. A floral scent fills the air as flowers bloom where the spots of blood land. 

A loud hissing fills the air and Davina sprints away, her blood still dripping onto the floor as she runs. The demons were hot on her heels, clicking and hissing as they advance on their target. Davina's sprint screeches to a halt when she reaches a dead end.