22

Davina lets go of Luke's hand as her eyes roll back, blood streaming down her face. Before it all went black, the last thing she could feel was her head smashing against the floor, and the last thing she could hear was Magnus shouting in concern.

"Davina,"

Davina's eyes open and she's back in the lab, facing Valentine. She shakes her head, squeezing her eyes shut, praying for the sweet release of consciousness. 

"No, you're not here," Davina mutters. "You're a vision"

"I may be a vision but I'm very real,"  

Davina's eyes moves to Valentine's hands which held two items. A blood-stained crown, bejewelled with rubies of the same colour and a sword that was dripping with blood. Upon closer inspection, Davina realises the sword is the same one shown to her by Valak. The sword was stunning silver with a ruby-encrusted hilt. It looked as though it had been forged by Lilith herself.

"Keep that away from me," Davina whispers.

"You can feel the darkness can't you?" Valentine asks, observing Davina's fearful reaction to the sword. "The urge to kill?"

"Leave me alone," Davina whispers.

"Davina-"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Davina's scream tears through the silence of Magnus' apartment as the windows rattle within their frames. All of the occupants clamp their hands to their ears as the piercing wail rattles deep into their brains. Magnus and Jace share a look before the pair break into a sprint towards the room where Davina was lying after her loss of consciousness. 

Jace throws open the door and looks at Davina who was now awake, her eyes wide and her face tear-stained. Magnus pats Jace on the back before slowly retreating. 

Jace turns on the small lamp on the bedside table before climbing into the bed with Davina. He gently wraps his arms around her and she leans into his embrace as he starts to stroke her hair away from her forehead where it had started to matt due to the sweat that had amassed itself there.

Davina's body was trembling beneath Jace's touch as he holds her tightly, whispering sweet nothings in her ear. Her eyes were flickering between their regular emerald green and the luminous green which was a recent development. 

"What's got you so scared?"

"Valak spoke to me," Davina whispers. "When he had you, he told me that I have the potential to become the deadliest creature in the Shadow World"

"I won't ever let that happen," Jace says. 

"If I ever become a threat," Davina whispers. "You have to promise me Jace-"

"What are you asking me, Davina?"

"It's one death to save thousands," Davina's voice was pleading as she looks up at the blonde. "You have to promise me, Jace, right here right now"

"I promise," Jace made his voice as sincere as he could but he knew he was making a promise he could never keep.

"Thank you," Davina whispers, resting her head back on Jace's chest. 

The door to Davina's room is thrown open, followed by a familiar carrot top who drops a sentence that causes both Jace and Davina to jolt upright in shock. 

"I know where the Cup is," 

"Come again?" Jace asks.

"The tarot cards. My mom must have painted them years ago, but the Mortal Cup has to be hidden inside the Ace of Cups. The card looks exactly like it"

Jace and Magnus look at each other before they both glance at Davina.

"Wait, why aren't you guys happy about this? All we have to do is find-"

"My mom," Davina says. "Which will be hard"

"If Dot had the cards when she was taken, we don't have much time. If Valentine gets his hands on the Cup-"

"We'd know. If Valentine started creating Shadowhunters or gained control of demons, it'd be like Beyoncé riding on a dinosaur through Times Square. People would notice" Magnus says.

"But he can control demons. I've seen it" Clary says. "He sent one that attacked Davina"

"Mmm, paying off a few demons is easy, especially since they rarely survive long enough to collect," Magnus says.

"Still waiting on Valentine's thank-you card," Jace says.

"Opening the gates of hell, that's a little more tricky"

"I'm sorry, the gates of hell?"

Luke enters.

"Valentine doesn't have the cards. I do. They're in my desk back at the precinct. When Clary went missing, I went to the loft and I cleared everything out, 'cause I didn't want the Circle to track her. I assumed that Davina was hidden with Dot but then I found out she was dead"

"That's great. This should be easy" Clary says.

"Mmm, that's what General Custer said" Magnus hums.

"Magnus is right. Valentine has spies everywhere, even in the NYPD. We have to be discreet" Luke says.

"Discreet? You look like something out of The Mummy movie" Clary says.

Magnus laughs.

"We'll go in the morning. Werewolf healing, remember? This is nothing a couple of hours of beauty sleep can't fix" Luke says.

 Werewolf healing, remember? This is nothing a couple of hours of beauty sleep can't fix" Luke says