{ Anaela }

As soon as Ria and Pouty were gone I went and plopped down on my couch. The end of the month will be around the corner soon. Probably three or four more weeks. Then, I'll have to beg my mom to fund my living and to give me some money for groceries. And I'll also have to call her so that she knows I'm alive still. Can't leave the gang without a leader. You know..because me being her daughter means nothing.

"I need to do my homework," I huffed out loud. It wasn't quiet around this time of day. It's nearly six. The crackheads are coming out, the late night parties, the loud teenagers sneaking out, the abusive spouses coming home from work.

Still, the chilly air of a Texas night made its way through my thin clothes. I got off of the couch with ease, something surprising after the rough start I had to my day. I had the sudden burst of energy to work on my schoolwork. I think I'm missing forty assignments. In most of my classes I have single digits. I'd also have to bring that up to my mother, because sooner or later, the school would probably be calling or stopping by.

Nosy whores.

I got out all of my assignments ( just registration papers) that were long due. I had been filling these out ever  since I could. Since Mom left me to fend for myself. I picked at a chin hair mindlessly as I completed the forms. I had almost all of this memorized, since my mother had taken all of the official documents with her. I didn't have a choice but to know my social security number, and the information on my insurance card, although most kids my age don't even know the uses for those things.

After I was done, I kicked off my socks and got my stuff ready for the morning. Hopefully tomorrow I can help Pouty find that novel. I just know her face would light up when she sees it. Mind will too.

I fell asleep sometime around eight, both nervous and excited for my first day of twelfth grade.

My morning alarm woke me up and sudden fear struck me so hard that I thought my heart was failing. I clutched my chest, squeezing my legs together, my body in a tight ball.

"It's okay, it's okay," I whispered to myself.

I felt like I was going to break if I pushed myself any harder. Pouty's sad face flashed across my mind. "Do this, for Pouty," I said with a shaky voice. I slipped my body out from under the covers and shivered in the cold air. I skipped over my socks and went to the thermostat to warm the place up.

I frowned, seeing that I had left one lock unlocked. One too many and somebody dangerous might sneak in. I locked it up and went back to my bedroom. If I stared at my bed too long I could imagine yesterday happening all over again.

I picked up my clothes I chose yesterday and took them into the bathroom. I saw a call from Pouty. She wanted to FaceTime. I started getting my shower together, I could FaceTime her from there. I already know Ria is probably at some sports practice wayyy before me, Pouty, or Reneah are ever awake.

I peeled off my clothes and got into the shower, calling Pouty back and pressing FaceTime.

"Hey girl," she greeted me. Before the glass started fogging up I could see Pouty putting on a lace bra underneath a button down shirt.

"Where are sitting for lunch today?" I asked her. "Library. I wanna see if they have that book," she said excitedly. She turned around and frowned, hurriedly switching us off of FaceTime. I couldn't hear whoever was talking to Pouty, but they didn't sound excited about her being on the phone while she was naked.

I heard my friend quickly say she had to hang up then watched as my screen faded off. I turned my attention back to bathing, hoping an unoccupied mind wouldn't lead me back into bed.