42

{ Anaela }

The next morning I woke up to voices in the kitchen and loud shuffling of furniture. I smelled the faint remnants of breakfast and the house was a whole lot warmer than it was when I fell asleep. I slowly sat up, my conscious mind twisting it's way back to last night.

So Teece and Valentine, huh? It was kind of obvious now that my sleep deprived brain had finally gotten some juice. I guess Valentine wanted all her cake and thought she was going to enjoy it. I'm not about to ruin my heart over someone who would easily slip into her best friend's room to rub up on each other.

And how could Teece look me in the eyes one moment then do this? My mother was right about one thing. My heart doesn't belong to everyone, but my presence can be given away.

Once I had showered and packed up my things, I prepared myself to face everyone. Dominique wasn't a fool, I'm sure she either knew what was up or she could sense everything.

I stopped myself right before I opened the door. You know, Dom and Valentine had been plotting to take my gang from me, possibly even prepared to kill me if needed, and without a doubt, I'm sure Teece was apart of the plan too.

What am I doing here, entertaining people who would shoot at a chance for my position? How can I even call these people my friends? How can I forgive so easily and be so naive? Look where that got me with my old friend group. I let go of the knob and glanced down at all of my bags.

It was me the cops was looking for the most, I'm the one that's the daughter of a known criminal. I'm the one with the pressure.

I walked towards my window and looked at the locks. They looked old compared to the more modern style of the countryside mansion. I sat my bags back on my bed and turned on the shower and the tub to mask out the sound of me opening the window.

Just as I had suspected, each time I moved the old locks they creaked and churned. I lifted open the window and assessed my drop. Two stories, with a long ravine covering this whole side of the house. I knew for a fact that no one would see me drop down because all of those windows were covered in vines. The vines were too thin and small to hold me though. All of my bags had clothes and toiletries in them. I just needed to know that if I dropped them, that I would follow.

There was an old, covered trampoline on the side. I have no idea who's stuff this was, but it looked fairly new by the blue makeup of the legs. I dropped my things down onto the trampoline, and stuck my feet out. The house slightly leaned down towards the equipment because of how the side roof was made. I slowly climbed down on my butt until I reached the end.

The jump from here wasn't bad and I slid down. I fell on a bag quietly and clutched it as I was slightly lifted into the air. I gathered my shit and scrambled away along the side of the house. I text my mother to send a car on the side of the house to come get me.

Hopefully she'd sense the urgency in my text and get someone here quick. I hid by a covered up window, feeling sad at what I had gotten myself into. Why did I do Dom a favor? Why did I have to be a loner like Pouty? Why did my mom have to be so distant with me? Why...did my dad have to go?

I heard laughing from inside the house and my heart ached. My mother sent a text asking why I needed another driver but I left it alone. I walked back towards the way I came  and found it led to a back road along the back side of the house. All of the acres were in the front of the house.

No one would think to look for me this way until I was long gone. I can make my way in this world on my own, without my mother's help nor my so called friends.

I don't need anybody, I've been my mother and best friend and sibling and father and enemy all of these years. Why switch up now?

My bags didn't seem so heavy when my mind was numb walking on the gravelly dirt road. I walked in the shadow of the  grass, and I'd be able to hear a car approaching if it were a mile away. It was almost afternoon and I could see the yellow corn fields stretch past the horizon.

I had left my phone on the trampoline before I had left. I was hungry and tired, and quite frankly I had forgotten to put on my deodorant but I was too lazy to dig it out one of my bags, so I was sweaty. Mosquitoes buzzed all around me, and I know that if this road ever ends, I'll have some lasting paranoia about buzzing in my ears.

It was almost dark when I reached the end of the road and saw "Dead End". So all of these acres were two estates' land. I could see that now, houses on both sides so far away that they could be acorns. I looked straight ahead. Tall grass gave way to thin woods then a Sonic.

I guess today's the day to start a new path, even if that means I might step on a baby snake.