10

{ Anaela }

I left the house with my mom besides me. I could feel the stares of the people who hung around my neighborhood. Great, now they'd think I had some money because of my mother and all the C's and ovals on her purse.

"We're walking?" she asked with a sniff.

"Unless you wanna pull up in whatever you came in?"

"Pull up?"

"Arrive at the school," I said through gritted teeth. "Well, I had my driver drop me off. He's set to come at a certain time," she informed me. I briefly thought about having my mother jumped. Her outfit alone probably could get most of these people into shelters, rehabs, or motels with a few plates of food.

"Why do you even own..what you own?" I asked carefully, not sure who could be listening as we walked the familiar way down the side of the road I walked with my friends.

"I had to make it into luxury somehow," she said with a dreamy smile. "So do you intentionally make me struggle to turn out like you, or something?" I asked, throwing up my my hands. "If you don't know the way your customers live- most of them, how will you be a good leader . Eventually.....you will meet your brothers and sisters-

"Whoa what? Your little Canadian fam? No thanks," I chuckled. "No, your..mafia fam," she smirked. "The people who will help guide you in selling our products, taking out people, and selling people."

"Hmph, and I assume by taking out people, you don't mean on a date," I said sarcastically.

"No. When you are ready you will take over. But that is only after I teach you the ropes. I refuse to let you ruin all of the hard work I have put in," she said sharply. "God, it is hot out here!" she shouted, rage in her eyes. "I'm going to sweat out of my makeup."

"Damn, I wish you hadn't shouted," I said under my breath. "What did you say, young lady?" Crackheads started to swarm us, drunks, and other disarrayed people along the street. "You should probably call that driver now," I suggested. My mom pulled out a gun. "Step closer and you're dead," she said seriously. We were being closed in.

"They don't get it mom. These people aren't in their right minds." One of them lunged at us and I kicked him back. I started running towards the school. My mom had survived all these years doing what she does, she could handle her own. Every bitch for herself.

"Anaela!" she shouted out.

I slowed down, the adrenaline covering up the pain of my sore limbs. I looked back. No one was chasing me but they were crowded around my mother. Someone was trying to wrestle the gun from her. I saw it fly and fall on the sidewalk. No one noticed the gun, they wanted her, like a pack of zombies.

I was momentarily taken back to a memory of my mother and I. We were riding in her car while she was going to deliver a package. Some people on the street were standing over a girl that looked like she was in middle school. It was a hot summer day, she was in a red tank top and cookie cutters. From my short perspective it looked like they were zombies trying to eat her.

"Mommy, why are the zombies eating the girl?" I asked innocently.

"They're not zombies, Anaela," my mom said harshly. "And we'll end up like those pieces of scum if you don't be quiet and let Mommy find the street to this house. I mean, the damn address!"

I broke out of my daze and raced towards the gun. I picked it up and pushed my way through the crowd. I cracked somebody upside the head and grabbed my mother and pulled her out of the horde. I let out a warning shot, wondering how my hand knew the gun so well. My mother and I ran off. We hid behind a corner to see if we were being followed. The people dispersed, going back to their everyday lives. My mother was panting, staring at me with confusion and pride.

"You passed the test, Anaela."

"I swear to goodness I'm going to kill you if this was all set up."

"Goodness?" my mother chuckled.

I finally calmed down my breathing and started walking towards my school, at least I wasn't completely sweaty now but I could say otherwise for my mother. Obviously she hadn't been running a lot. Her slender body must be paid for.

"It's just something I say," I told her after awhile. "I don't believe in God. I believe that's there's a higher power out there. And since there are so many religions out there, who knows which is true," I explained. "I don't want to favor one over another because who knows who really is the true creator."

"Huh, never thought I'd raise an atheist," my mother commented. "I- I don't think that's the same thing, Mom." I stopped myself. I can't ease into conversation with this woman like she's actually my mother. She's far from it.

"So, how's life in Canada?" I asked, cringing.

I truly didn't care but awkward silence is worse than pretending to be intrigued. "My family is doing nice. Hopefully one day you'll be able to meet them."

"Why don't you make one of your little kids own the damn business?"

"You won't talk to me like that," she told me firmly. We reached my school. "Look, you didn't raise me. I don't owe you anything," I snapped at her, opening a door after clicking the button by it. "I might not have raised you for a long time but I did for a short amount of time. I taught you how to walk and how to speak. I didn't have the intentions for you to curse me out, Anaela."

"Well I'm sorry. Maybe if we knew each other better I'd have the bond with you to respect you," I smiled. "You don't have to sign me in. I can do it on my own. Have a nice day."

My mother stood outside the door, watching me start to walk away. "I'll send all of the money to an account and give you the information for it. You'll be leaving for Meyerland in a month. I'll sign a leave for you to be away from school for three weeks," she told me. "Have a nice day, Anaela."

I let the door close on her, sighing as I went to sign myself in for the day.