49

[ Valentine ]

We were watching Ghostbuster's when my phone chimed. I hadn't told anyone, but I had went back to my old Instagram on the new phone to gain back some normalcy in my life. I hadn't posted or interacted with anyone, but just seeing everyone I knew living life like normal hurt.

Anaela picked up my phone before I could, and frowned. "Instagram? Really Valentine?"

I snatched the phone away. "I was lonely, okay?"

Anaela sat back down on our bed, snuggling under the covers next to Teece. I found my place by her side and took my phone off of the charger. "What was it?" Anaela asked neutrally. I sighed, clicking on the notification to open. I frowned. "Ummm."

Anaela paused the movie and sat up, leaning over my shoulder. Teece sat herself up, leaning over to see what was up, too. "Some random account sent me a paragraph to come down to Meyerland?"

Anaela paused, thinking.

"Your mom will probably be having you go there soon and then I randomly get this letter. There has to be more to all of this."

"Could be Ariana or Sissy fucking with us for all we know. And so soon after we sent Dominique battered up back to Houston? I wouldn't think anything of it," she said at last.

I shook my head, "Shit like this...you can't take chances like that. You should tell your mom. I don't think it'll be safe for you to go down there."

"Maybe you should send Valentine instead. It's her they seem to really want anyways," Teece suggested. "No, if I can't go, nobody's going. You might get killed," Anaela said firmly. "What if someone knows about all of the stuff with Keris. It could be her family," Teece suggested. I sighed, "That would be awesome," I said sarcastically.

We sat in silence for a moment.

"I'm going to go. I'll check out things there for us," I promised Anaela. "You are not going, Valentine," she shook her head. "I won't allow you to get hurt. I have a name to me, they'll think twice before killing me. They'll probably want ransom money before anything. It'll be better if I just go," she said.

"Anaela, you don't know the streets the way your friends seem to," I stated bluntly.

"But I have the protection you guys don't have. My mother would break her ass crack to get me back in one piece if I were to go AWOL."

"Anaela-

Teece placed a hand on my arm, "Let's just think about this later. Let's finish the movie. I wanna get high," she did a little shimmy. "I thought you weren't supposed to while you're healing," I said. Teece rolled her eyes, "My legs have to double heal. I'm not going to pass up an opportunity of momentary happiness, Tino."

An hour later and Anaela was dead asleep, high as a kite. Teece laid awake besides me, rubbing her knees with a lazy smile. I couldn't watch her. There were so many things we had done that I can't think about while my girlfriend is literally asleep on me in the same bed. It just wasn't right.

"You should go to Meyerland," Teece said, wiggling her toes around, her speaking slightly slow. "You gotta protect Anaela. Obviously I can't protect you anymore. She has your back. Do you have hers?"

"Like....the ultimate relationship test?" I smirked, touching my soft, soft face. "Yeah," Teece smiled at me, eyes mesmerized with my lips. I looked away from Teece and held Anaela tight to me, my mind grounded to sanity for a moment. Anaela is all I have, and I am all she has- I have to step it up.

I'm going to Texas whether she likes it or not.