44

{ Anaela }

I stood on the side of Sonic after being kicked out for not buying anything. It's cold in the shadow of the old building, but it's better than being lied to. I held my arms to myself, eyes closed as I tried to assess my options.

There were none.

I could always be homeless and stay hidden until I'm 18, but what justice will that do me? Living my life hiding away from cops. If I leave behind my mother she very well might ditch me forever, and I could be taken to jail at any moment. Not to mention Dominique, and Valentine. What would they do without me, despite everything?

"Have you seen her?" I heard a voice call out.

I instantly froze, then made the quick decision to grab my bags and run down the side of Sonic.

Valentine. How was she here? Had I not been careful enough? Would she be mad at me? Was Dominique and Teece with her?

She was risking a lot being here when we were all on the run except Teece. I moved my way through the woods, the cold air getting brisker by the moment. My face was flushed and my arms felt heavy and tired but something was telling me to get away. I didn't run, I walked quickly, keeping my ears open for any sounds. Where did this even lead to? I should have made my decision sooner. Maybe I would have never crossed paths with Valentine.

Did this make me and her over?

I should have left a note to tell her she could have everything- maybe then she wouldn't have looked for me. I made it through the woods and found myself on the other end of the dirt road. I heard a rustling. I glanced back, the dark trees covering up my path.

I moved forward. Valentine wouldn't consider that I went through here. I continued carrying my things, walking back along that familiar road that lead towards one of the estates.

The tall grass and corn covered me. Thankfully it wasn't a maze, but I kept myself walking forward in one direction. If I get lost no one will find me, and I don't want to die alone.

I've known this all of my life.

I held my hair against the sides of my face in stupid hope of warmth, but even that was cold. I shivered my way forward.

I decided to stop and take a break for the night in the field. I turned all of my bag's zippers towards the direction I'd need to head in the morning, because everything looked the same and I didn't have anymore ideas. I laid against my bags, trying to find comfort in my own body heat. Even my tears felt cold as I snuggled against the fabric.

Hands grabbed me by the throat and lifted me up out of my sleep. It was like I had already been awake and my mind was energized. I kicked at the person and twisted at their elbows but they held me firm and tight. "You leave behind a lot of foot prints," the voice whispered darkly into my left ear.

They let me go and I spun around to face Valentine. "I'm not going back with you guys. Just go to Wisconsin," I sighed, feeling relieved at a familiar face when I was so overwhelmed. "I just need some time to myself. I'm sorry for running off without warning but..."

Valentine grabbed me by the forearm and pressed herself closer to me. "You thought I was gonna let you just leave me?"

I searched her eyes but there was something different in them. I blinked quickly, my heart pounding. "Valentine, I'll go to- go to Wisconsin with you but I just need a break. I'm really stressed and stuff."

I gulped, seeing her gaze at my sweaty skin. "You're not gonna pull no more shit like this ever again, Anaela." I nodded along to her statement, trying to release myself from her grip. She yanked me by the collar even closer. My breath brushed against her nose. "You're not gonna do this shit ever again," she repeated.

So much anger radiated from her but she pushed me away. "Come on. Dominique and Teece should already be at the airport. We'll probably have to catch a separate flight."

She took off her jacket and put it around me, picking up her things and leaving me to gather my own. As I followed behind her back towards the dirt road I could only hope that this wasn't a set up.

What had Valentine wanted to do? What was going on? Was my mother upset? Did everybody know I didn't trust them anymore? Teece, Dominique , and Valentine? Maybe even my own mother?

"Why did you come for me?" I asked as we inadvertently traced my steps back along the side of the house. Valentine looked over at me, then away. "I'm sorry for acting crazy. I'm just...I'm not myself right now. I know you know about what Teece and I did," she said softly.

"I was jealous. And pissed," I admitted, feeling a little relieved that Valentine hadn't gone off the deep end.

"And I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner about how we used to do what we did. It was wrong of me. Even if I thought you knew-

"What," I stopped walking, looking over at Valentine. Her face paled. "Oh shit," she said slowly, realizing her mistake.

"So what was it you guys used to do? I thought we were talking about you two making out here at the house, but apparently there's more."

Valentine glanced at the driver in the driveway a lot of feet away from us, like they were going to judge our conversation. She crossed her arms, defeatedly leaning back against the house. "We used to fuck around. Have random threesomes with people. It was just the type of shit that we did. It didn't have any emotional attachment with it though." She noticed my expression. "It was just sex for us, Anaela."

"You know, you've really lost my trust Valentine. You, Dominique, and this Teece of yours. If you want her body so badly and her advice- you can have her." I turned around but she grabbed me lightly, "C'mon Anaela, we can do this the hard way or the easy way."

"You're not forcing me to come with you!" I yelled at her, hoping to get the driver's attention. "Damn it!" Valentine screamed. I shut up, breathing hard. "You're mine, Anaela. I'm not gonna let you just leave me. What Teece and I had wasn't anything bizarre."

"You didn't hesitate to go in that room with her," I pointed at Valentine. "You didn't hesitate to kiss her and to flirt with her, but yet you have the nerve to be mad that I don't want you. You wanted to take all I had, you were willing to do anything. I'm sure you even turned Dom against me momentarily, made her value your same goals. Why should I trust you?"

"I'm all you have, Anaela. I know you," she argued, pointing back. "You don't know me, Valentine," I shook my head. I walked past her with my shit and headed towards the car idling for us. "We don't have to be near each other on that plane but you are going. Your mother's orders," she called out.

I turned around, not able to keep myself from laughing at the woman I had trusted. "It's funny how nobody cares about me until I'm an inconvenience to them. You can fall out the sky for all I care."