18

{ Anaela }

I sat in my class patiently waiting for lunch to begin in another two or three hours, tapping my pencil on the desk as the teacher taught. "Can you stop?" my classmate to the left of me asked, smacking his lips at me. I stopped tapping my pencil, feeling like everyone's attention was on me. Somebody say something, anything besides the teacher talking, I begged. Something that would distract my classmates even though they probably didn't care for me nor know me.

"Can I go to the restroom?" the boy to my left asked. Huh, who would have known he'd be both my savior and my captor. I felt relieved and opened up my Math notebook. I started doodling in the back page, letting my thoughts express themselves. I don't know what I'm drawing yet but it'll be beautiful.

The bell for my next class rung and I saw someone heading in my direction. I turned to see if anyone else was waiting on them. No one was paying attention. Someone's trying to talk to me. I stiffly put up my things, hoping my body language didn't seem as rigid as it felt.

"Hi," the masculine girl said, approaching me.

"Hi," I said back, pulling my backpack over my shoulder. "I'm Mayah, you seemed friendly so I was like 'heyy, why don't I talk to her cause I'm new here'," she chuckled.

I nodded slowly, "I know how it feels to be unfamiliar with a place. My name's Anaela," I told her, holding my hand out. "I need help finding my next class," she admitted sheepishly. "Girls?" the teacher asked, looking between us as if to ask why we were still in the class. "I'm showing her to her next class," I told the teacher. Mayah followed behind me out of the room.

We stopped by the door in the hallway and resumed our conversation. "What lunch do you have, first off? You're welcome to sit with me and my friends."

"I don't wanna intrude," she said with a small smile. "You good. We're all chatty, really except for me...and my other friend," I added. "We have A lunch," I told her. Mayah checked her paper, "I do too."

I took her schedule, "I know where this class is, I have a friend who takes it as well. She's a little loud, but Sissy wouldn't harm a roach."

"Sissy?" Mayah asked, walking besides me as we slowly made our way to her class. "That's her nickname. Two of my friends in our friend group have the same sounding name," I told her. "One is called Pouty, the other is Sissy."

Mayah laughed, "Those are cute names. I wish someone would give me a nickname." I looked over at her, my stomach fluttering. Calm down, Anaela. "What about Oh My?"

"That sounds corny as hell," Mayah laughed and I tried to hide my look of disappointment. "But I like it," she smirked to herself.

"Ohhh My," Mayah moaned loudly in the hallway. I started snickering. A teacher looked around, pissed. He was ready to give detention to anybody. "Mayah, I can't with you," I laughed. The bell rung, signaling that we should be in class. "Oh shit, ian mean to make you late," Mayah told me, concerned.

"No, it's fine. You're my excuse," I laughed. "Class can always wait. I'll text Sissy, so she'll be nice to you. Otherwise she'll be on yo ass in the back of the classroom joking with her little crew."

"Damn, I look that bad," Mayah laughed, checking out her own fit. She was wearing a Vans black checkerboard fit with an outgoing vibe to tie it all together. "No, you look fine," I said softly. I text Sissy, trying to think of a way to fill the silent void simultaneously.

Before I knew it, we had made it to Mayah's class.

"Well, um, just look for us at lunch. Depending on how I feel, you might not see me cause another friend and I will be in the library." Great Anaela. Invite someone to the table and then don't show up- classy.

"I didn't know you were a little nerd," she smirked down at me. "That's cute." I blushed. "Do you like studs?" she asked me after awhile. I was flustered, "I- Uh- Oh-

"I was just curious. You're pretty hot."

I know I was blushing like a maniac, I turned my face away and stared at the ground. "Are you single?" she asked me. "I- Well..yes."

"Well," she crouched down to look up at me, as I stared at the floor. "I guess that means you're game then, huh?"

The door to the classroom opened and I turned my face from everyone's looks. I meekly waved to Sissy and pointed to my phone then sped off to the class I was supposed to be in. Ugh, why do I have to be so awkward?

That was so awkwardddd, and I had just invited this girl to our table too!

I messaged everyone about the new addition to our table for the day. Everyone was cool with it, and from what I gathered from Sissy, they had hit it off pretty well with one another. She already told me the tales of how Mayah and her almost got kicked out of the class for disturbing everyone.

I walked from my class to the lunch room, hands in pocket, head down as always. I didn't mean to walk that way, this was just the only way I felt comfortable walking. How could I be a leader to anybody when the followers were more unique than me?

I entered the cafeteria and saw Sissy with Mayah, already in the lunch line. I joined the line too, glancing every few minutes at my table of friends. I can't believe Pouty's gonna be gone soon. What Ria said flickered through my mind. Maybe I would replace Pouty's position as the glue of our group, and maybe Mayah would take Pouty's spot as the group's favorite.

"Anaela," Sissy called from a few people ahead in the line. She waved for me to come to her and I meekly cut the line. "Hey, I didn't realize Mayah was going to be in my class when you sent that text. I hadn't even checked my phone until it was done charging," my friend told me.

"Hey," Mayah waved to me, turning around.

"Hey Anaela," a girl in front of me turned around to wave, I guess hearing my name. I recognized her from my freshman year of gym, I believe.

I waved back, smiling shyly.

"What you gettin today?" I asked myself, then chose a chicken burger. Some food at my school lunch tasted good. This particular sandwich tasted like Popeyes, and the bread was buttery. Mayah glanced at my tray and chose the same thing. Mayah. No one had ever been so forward with me before. Mayah had to have been playing. There's no way that she could think someone like me was attractive.

Then start being attractive then, Anaela.

I looked down at my tray..determined. Tonight, I'm going to become the Anaela I want to be instead of only wishing for it. And I'm going to set a few ground rules when it comes to our "family business". It's time things work in my favor.

 It's time things work in my favor

(Mayah aka Oh My)
(Leo)
(Stud)

*Who's y'all's favorite character so far?*